Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have to get all curricula approved!

Posted by   + Show Post
I go through the state of AK for funding to help with buying curriculum for my kids well this year they are changing the rules. All curriculum has to be approved by the BOE before we can use it even if we pay out of pocket for them, if they disapprove of it then they don't get credit for it. To me this is to invasive for me but right now I am stuck till the new year begins in July. So I am on the fence as to staying or leaving. By the way the curriculum I have picked is not on their list so we would have to go before the board and get approved. So what do you think and what would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
crystalhend
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I can get out in a year due to having a mess up with our accounts we got computers and have to pay them off. What upsets me most is that they can deny almost anything they want and want us to teach on a public school standards. I want better for my kids. To teach their way would hurt a couple of my kids.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, I am the odd man out here.  I have moved from one state to another simply because the first state thought they were going to control what I did and did not do with my children and their *anything* and that is just not acceptable on any level at any time. Yes, it was a little inconvenient, but we felt that a little inconvenience was more acceptable than having someone dictate to us what we can and can not do with or for our children. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Home school does not need to cost much if you create most of your own lessons.

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

Lesson Plans That Motivate

I commented earlier, but totally  missed the part about AK funding:  That works much like a Trojan Horse for Home Educators.

Government Subsidized Program Complaints

Will Home Educators Dodge This Bullet.?

Quoting crystalhend:

I can get out in a year due to having a mess up with our accounts we got computers and have to pay them off. What upsets me most is that they can deny almost anything they want and want us to teach on a public school standards. I want better for my kids. To teach their way would hurt a couple of my kids.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM
What ages oe grade level
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
You are awesome.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, I am the odd man out here.  I have moved from one state to another simply because the first state thought they were going to control what I did and did not do with my children and their *anything* and that is just not acceptable on any level at any time. Yes, it was a little inconvenient, but we felt that a little inconvenience was more acceptable than having someone dictate to us what we can and can not do with or for our children. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystalhend
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:20 AM
Their grades are 5 and 6th grades. I do have another child that is in another program that says they are not having to do this but the funding is going ti be cut soon. So big changes across the board.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koltie6
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with not taking the funding. If you take anything from the government they think its their right to control what you do. Isn't that why we homeschool to teach our children the way we feel is best? Also with the Internet you could teach anything without a single book. Curriculum packages were made for schools, just like grades. It's the way the system is set up. Most textbook teaching in schools is so antiquated anyway. It is not the way most children learn best .. It is the only way they can teach so many children cost effectively .
Jlee4249
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
HomeSchool Legal Defense Assoc: HSLDA.
They have membership fees, but still have been known to help in cases for free.

HomeSchool Legal Advantage-- is free (suggested donation).

Just look them up and make some calls. The least they could do is explain your options and clarify the laws and what you can or cannot do.
In the very least, you'll no longer wonder what choice you have
Jlee4249
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM
On the other hand, I would pick the easiest curriculum and build off of it-- Use it just as a guide and create your own unit studies or lessons. Instead of worksheets, do an experiment or journal to drive the lesson home, but you would still be able to report that the lesson was completed. Without specifying that worksheets/workbooks were not utilized.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Thank you...

but why would you think that?  :) Just curious. 

Quoting Boobah:

You are awesome.

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)