Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have to get all curricula approved!

Posted by   + Show Post
I go through the state of AK for funding to help with buying curriculum for my kids well this year they are changing the rules. All curriculum has to be approved by the BOE before we can use it even if we pay out of pocket for them, if they disapprove of it then they don't get credit for it. To me this is to invasive for me but right now I am stuck till the new year begins in July. So I am on the fence as to staying or leaving. By the way the curriculum I have picked is not on their list so we would have to go before the board and get approved. So what do you think and what would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM
Replies (21-24):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Because I believe the same and would totally move before I would allow someone to dictate how we school, so I think it is awesome that you did :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Thank you...

but why would you think that?  :) Just curious. 

Quoting Boobah:

You are awesome.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, I am the odd man out here.  I have moved from one state to another simply because the first state thought they were going to control what I did and did not do with my children and their *anything* and that is just not acceptable on any level at any time. Yes, it was a little inconvenient, but we felt that a little inconvenience was more acceptable than having someone dictate to us what we can and can not do with or for our children. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Does AK have the K12 on-line program? Here is it free.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Well then, I thank you, again.  

I just have a thing about someone telling me how or what to do, where it concerns my kids.  Especially if its a bunch of people who have NO Experience of having a child in the first place. Being an adult with children is NOT the same thing as being an adult with no children.  It is comparing apples to oranges, imho. 

Quoting Boobah:

Because I believe the same and would totally move before I would allow someone to dictate how we school, so I think it is awesome that you did :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Thank you...

but why would you think that?  :) Just curious. 

Quoting Boobah:

You are awesome.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, I am the odd man out here.  I have moved from one state to another simply because the first state thought they were going to control what I did and did not do with my children and their *anything* and that is just not acceptable on any level at any time. Yes, it was a little inconvenient, but we felt that a little inconvenience was more acceptable than having someone dictate to us what we can and can not do with or for our children. 

crystalhend
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Thank you l ladies it has given me lots to think about. I am a person that I don't want someone telling me what I can and can't use for my children wether we pay for it or not. We are considering change the kids over to another group that in their makeup they are worded differently to put the parents first in those decisions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)