Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

K12.... Last straw. Update

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 68 Replies
4 moms liked this

I just received an email revoking my asynchronous status.  Now my kindergartener will be required to attend 2 half hour class connect session every day.  It didn't work at the beginning of the school year, their program isn't working for us.  I've been busting my butt to compensate for their program. Now I am done.  Printed out my affidavit and as soon as I get it turned in, we are finished!

Update:  I wrote up my paper work over the weekend.  I went out and had my affidavit notarized on Tuesday (first time I could get an appointment) and sent it via certified mail to my district office.  I had called the distict office to tell them so that thy could start working out the funding stuff (their money needs to come back to them.)  I printed off the report ards and each week's learning plan t prove the first 102 days are already accounted for.  Then I sent them a long letter about why we were withdrawling.  Now comes the pressure!  My goodness, I haven't gotten this many phone calls and this much attention from them since they were trying to get us to sign up in the first place.  They are promising everything but a trip to Disney!  I keep telling them "no dice."  And I had to let he phone go to voice mail today just to get our lessons done!  The boys are so much happier, and so am I.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Ahhh, blue.  On the one hand, I am eccstatic and on the other hand I am sorry that you would have to stop as I know how your hubby feels.  But It may just be for the best. Then you have complete control over everything.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romacox:

The free  K12 programs are a Trojan Horse. 

K12 Online Virtual Schools

Government Subsidized Home School Programs...Will Home Educators Dodge This Bullet?

I've read that first one before.  The second one was new to me.  I just wish I hadn't enrolled my kindergartener.  Now that he's been in a public school, no one seems to know if I have to send in an affidavit for him or not.  I've been on the phone all afternoon with some saying yes, some saying maybe, and most wanting to hand it off to the BOE which doesn't seem to want to call me back.

I officially say, I will NEVER recommend k12.

BTW, it is the Agora school that did it, so that first article was dead on!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Ahhh, blue.  On the one hand, I am eccstatic and on the other hand I am sorry that you would have to stop as I know how your hubby feels.  But It may just be for the best. Then you have complete control over everything.  

I think hubby sees it's for the best.  But it couldn't have come at a worse time, his mom's b-day is Sunday and she really won't understand.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Call your State Home School Association.  They are usually most willing to help, and can refer you to your State laws which are usually very simply explained on their website.  If you do not know your State Home School Association:  How To Find Your State Home School Association.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romacox:

Call your State Home School Association.  They are usually most willing to help, and can refer you to your State laws which are usually very simply explained on their website.  If you do not know your State Home School Association:  How To Find Your State Home School Association.

Thanks!  Very helpful. 

MsMcWithey
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Good to know cuz I was thinking of enrolling dds in k12... anyone know a good homeschool program with a reasonable price????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM
3 moms liked this

When you home school, the whole world is your classroom, and that makes it very inexpensive.

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

Lesson Plans That Motivate

Different Methods Used By Home Educators. 

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Good to know cuz I was thinking of enrolling dds in k12... anyone know a good homeschool program with a reasonable price????

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Quoting MsMcWithey:

There are so many out there!

For math we have Math U See ordered and on the way.

For Phonics we love Hooked on Phonics (mine are very young!)

I like Isabel Beck for language arts.

It reall depends on your grade level, if you want a whole package or piece by piece, and your learning styles/ teaching style oh yeah, and if you want Christian/ secular.

MsMcWithey
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM
That's how I wanted to do it, but dont you have to follow state guidelines?

Quoting romacox:

When you home school, the whole world is your classroom, and that makes it very inexpensive.

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

Lesson Plans That Motivate

Different Methods Used By Home Educators. 

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)