Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just received an email revoking my asynchronous status.  Now my kindergartener will be required to attend 2 half hour class connect session every day.  It didn't work at the beginning of the school year, their program isn't working for us.  I've been busting my butt to compensate for their program. Now I am done.  Printed out my affidavit and as soon as I get it turned in, we are finished!

Update:  I wrote up my paper work over the weekend.  I went out and had my affidavit notarized on Tuesday (first time I could get an appointment) and sent it via certified mail to my district office.  I had called the distict office to tell them so that thy could start working out the funding stuff (their money needs to come back to them.)  I printed off the report ards and each week's learning plan t prove the first 102 days are already accounted for.  Then I sent them a long letter about why we were withdrawling.  Now comes the pressure!  My goodness, I haven't gotten this many phone calls and this much attention from them since they were trying to get us to sign up in the first place.  They are promising everything but a trip to Disney!  I keep telling them "no dice."  And I had to let he phone go to voice mail today just to get our lessons done!  The boys are so much happier, and so am I.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (61-68):
LadeeBellaDonna
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I never heard of K12 until I saw it on TV (they don't really push it around here)... and with all the stuff going on in PS I really didn't know I was looking for another option. (I knew about HS but thought it was, to put it nicely, fictitional education (yes I've only heard negative up until recently)) My mom finally got me to call K12 as a tutor but found out that they weren't tutors and gave up... then after some more things happening at school I started looking more into K12 and finally broke down and called them! After talking to them and finally making the decision to enroll the girls, got me to doing more research on HSing and liking the idea more and more. Then with more and more research my heart started telling me to look into other options for HSing... and this whole time I've been itching for K12 to open their enrollment (they still haven't opened enrollment in my area by the way). Now I'm thinking their slowness in opening enrollment was a blessing in disguise! I'm really glad I found this post... it's confirmed my hesitation! K12 just wouldn't be good for us... especially now that I know there's other ways to get the same resources I'm needing!

SalemWitchChild
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I've come to realize that it really does depend on the individual school you go through. K12 has worked for us, but its certainly not without its challenges and isn't for everyone.

MrsPeterkin
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I haven't had any problems, my daughter is doing great!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Hi Ladies,

This post is over 2 months old.  We are very happy that we left k12, we have loads of fun taking our own pace and enjoying our schooling.  Many of you have already replied to this post long ago, but I really don't want to get into debates about k12.  Everyone has their own experiences in this life and their own things that work well for them.  K12 did not work well for us.

I'm glad for those of you who read this and decide to look further than k12, I'm glad for those of you that have had a good experience with k12. 

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I'm just so glad it worked out so well for you! I had my own brief, unpleasant experience with K12. I know it *works* for many, but the company itself leaves much to be desired on my end. I always refer people to the information on the K12 discussion threads in this group when they ask me about it. ;0)
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tuffymama:

I'm just so glad it worked out so well for you! I had my own brief, unpleasant experience with K12. I know it *works* for many, but the company itself leaves much to be desired on my end. I always refer people to the information on the K12 discussion threads in this group when they ask me about it. ;0)

At first I was an adament supporter.  Now I know that the different states run things very differently.  I would never recommend k12 again.  I also tell people to stop by here and look at the different k12 posts.  But I always think people should research a LOT before they decide on any curriculum or support system for homeschooling.  There are so many stories out there about what homeschooling is and how strange we homeschoolers are.  Some people really need to hear a lot before they understand just what we do and why.  I will give k12 credit for starting the conversation about homeschooling in our area. 

mhaney03
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I HATED k12... they didn't give us any trouble when we left though.  Her teacher was a teacher from new orleans public schools so she really didn't give a crap.  They threatened to kick us out after I got sick and we fell behind. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Quoting mhaney03:

I HATED k12... they didn't give us any trouble when we left though.  Her teacher was a teacher from new orleans public schools so she really didn't give a crap.  They threatened to kick us out after I got sick and we fell behind. 

Awe, sorry you had trouble!  I'm glad they didn't pester you afterward though.  They called me quite a few times asking me to take surveys about why I left, sales people asking me to come back, and finally a thank you (which was nice) for returning all our materials.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN