Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just received an email revoking my asynchronous status.  Now my kindergartener will be required to attend 2 half hour class connect session every day.  It didn't work at the beginning of the school year, their program isn't working for us.  I've been busting my butt to compensate for their program. Now I am done.  Printed out my affidavit and as soon as I get it turned in, we are finished!

Update:  I wrote up my paper work over the weekend.  I went out and had my affidavit notarized on Tuesday (first time I could get an appointment) and sent it via certified mail to my district office.  I had called the distict office to tell them so that thy could start working out the funding stuff (their money needs to come back to them.)  I printed off the report ards and each week's learning plan t prove the first 102 days are already accounted for.  Then I sent them a long letter about why we were withdrawling.  Now comes the pressure!  My goodness, I haven't gotten this many phone calls and this much attention from them since they were trying to get us to sign up in the first place.  They are promising everything but a trip to Disney!  I keep telling them "no dice."  And I had to let he phone go to voice mail today just to get our lessons done!  The boys are so much happier, and so am I.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
MsMcWithey
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I actually want to be able to teach them survival skills and for them to get credit for that, as well as the regular academia and i want to teach them constitution for social studies (if possible), and i want everything to be hands on, like field trips to learn science and not so much book work, but life experience, kwim? do you know how i can do that?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Good to know cuz I was thinking of enrolling dds in k12... anyone know a good homeschool program with a reasonable price????

There are so many out there!

For math we have Math U See ordered and on the way.

For Phonics we love Hooked on Phonics (mine are very young!)

I like Isabel Beck for language arts.

It reall depends on your grade level, if you want a whole package or piece by piece, and your learning styles/ teaching style oh yeah, and if you want Christian/ secular.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Yes, you do have to follow State Laws.  I am unaware of any State that says you cannot create your own lesson plans if they are not paying for it.  What State do you live in?

Quoting MsMcWithey:

That's how I wanted to do it, but dont you have to follow state guidelines?

Quoting romacox:

When you home school, the whole world is your classroom, and that makes it very inexpensive.

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

Lesson Plans That Motivate

Different Methods Used By Home Educators. 

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Good to know cuz I was thinking of enrolling dds in k12... anyone know a good homeschool program with a reasonable price????

MsMcWithey
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM
California. My friends mom said you can fill out papers to make you your own school, so to speak, and then you don't have to follow state laws for curriculum (I don't agree with some of the things the schools teach, or the way they do it) but she didn't tell me if it would affect them going to college or getting a real. diploma. Do you know if that's true?
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

You would have to look at your state laws and see what your requirements are. 

Quoting MsMcWithey:

I actually want to be able to teach them survival skills and for them to get credit for that, as well as the regular academia and i want to teach them constitution for social studies (if possible), and i want everything to be hands on, like field trips to learn science and not so much book work, but life experience, kwim? do you know how i can do that?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting MsMcWithey:

There are so many out there!

For math we have Math U See ordered and on the way.

For Phonics we love Hooked on Phonics (mine are very young!)

I like Isabel Beck for language arts.

It reall depends on your grade level, if you want a whole package or piece by piece, and your learning styles/ teaching style oh yeah, and if you want Christian/ secular.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

yeah, having to sit and listen about how you are not doing what's right by your kids is not my idea of a great visit either.  But, on the bright side, you do have your hubby's full support.  And all of ours here.  :))   I know, not much consolation, is it.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Ahhh, blue.  On the one hand, I am eccstatic and on the other hand I am sorry that you would have to stop as I know how your hubby feels.  But It may just be for the best. Then you have complete control over everything.  

I think hubby sees it's for the best.  But it couldn't have come at a worse time, his mom's b-day is Sunday and she really won't understand.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM

For me it is.  I just have to keep my fingers crossed that hubby's support doesn't crumble under the attack.

Quoting kirbymom:

yeah, having to sit and listen about how you are not doing what's right by your kids is not my idea of a great visit either.  But, on the bright side, you do have your hubby's full support.  And all of ours here.  :))   I know, not much consolation, is it.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Ahhh, blue.  On the one hand, I am eccstatic and on the other hand I am sorry that you would have to stop as I know how your hubby feels.  But It may just be for the best. Then you have complete control over everything.  

I think hubby sees it's for the best.  But it couldn't have come at a worse time, his mom's b-day is Sunday and she really won't understand.

kttycat84
by Bonnie on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/rq/affidavit.asp

Here's a FAQ about schooling at home in CA: http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/rq/psfaq.asp

Here are CA's content standards. If you do the private school affidavit, you don't have to follow them, but I choose to. http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/index.asp

Quoting didn't work for some reason, this was a reply to MsMcWithey.

JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM
http://allinonehomeschool.wordpress.com/

Free

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Koltie6
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:14 AM
3 moms liked this
It depends on the state you live in. We live in Texas and follow same guidelines as a private school so we have NO government guidelines to follow. Which is as it should be. God Bless Texas

Quoting MsMcWithey:

That's how I wanted to do it, but dont you have to follow state guidelines?

Quoting romacox:

When you home school, the whole world is your classroom, and that makes it very inexpensive.

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

Lesson Plans That Motivate

Different Methods Used By Home Educators. 

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Koltie6
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this
As for legal advice HSLDA is a great source. They will help you and have great online info as well as legal document information. They also keep you posted on your state and if there is any legislation going on to take away your homeschool rights. We should all support their efforts to protect our rights.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)