Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just received an email revoking my asynchronous status.  Now my kindergartener will be required to attend 2 half hour class connect session every day.  It didn't work at the beginning of the school year, their program isn't working for us.  I've been busting my butt to compensate for their program. Now I am done.  Printed out my affidavit and as soon as I get it turned in, we are finished!

Update:  I wrote up my paper work over the weekend.  I went out and had my affidavit notarized on Tuesday (first time I could get an appointment) and sent it via certified mail to my district office.  I had called the distict office to tell them so that thy could start working out the funding stuff (their money needs to come back to them.)  I printed off the report ards and each week's learning plan t prove the first 102 days are already accounted for.  Then I sent them a long letter about why we were withdrawling.  Now comes the pressure!  My goodness, I haven't gotten this many phone calls and this much attention from them since they were trying to get us to sign up in the first place.  They are promising everything but a trip to Disney!  I keep telling them "no dice."  And I had to let he phone go to voice mail today just to get our lessons done!  The boys are so much happier, and so am I.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
amandae21
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I know there are a lot of k12 folks on this board, but I just want to say thanks for reminding me why we don't use it. We tried it for about 6 weeks and it just didn't work for us. There are a couple of virtual academy students at our co-op and I'm sometimes jealous of the ease of having someone else manage everything for you.

Good luck!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I don't think I'd feel compelled to share about the switch. No reason to bring it up that I can see.

She always asks so many questions.  I'd have to prepare answers for her.  What do we plan on doing this coming week... at this point besides his phonics work, I have no clue!  Levi's doing a little dance about not having to take the phonics assessments, so he'll probably mention it.  So I just figure it'll come up.

She's gotten much worse since we were preparing her for next year.  We planned on leaving at the end of the year, but with the issues, it's time now.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I'm sorry you have had so many issues. I understand. That is why we left. :(
But it is kind of a fun feeling when you turn it in and get all of their junk out of your house! Those computers and things take up so much unnecessary room. :) I seriously felt my house breath a sigh of relief. Lol

I am actually worried about dropping down from 3 computers to 1 computer and 2 tablets.  How many computers do you have?  That's nearly all I'm worried about at this point.  I've been thinking about all of the things I would do differntly for months now, in fact we've been doing things differently lately.  But losing the computers and new books each year is my onle worry.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM
We rarely used the k12 computer. :) it was so slow and was forever needing an update. After the first year I took it down and put it under a bed for storage. We have a laptop and my cellphone. We are about to have a second laptop.
To be honest, we don't use the computers that much, and when we do it is usually together. Such as we will be studying something for science or history and decide to google/youtube the topic.
I thought I would miss the books, but having to send them back every year used to bug me. I love books and hated giving them back. Lol so I just order a few every couple months, pick some up at goodwill or the sale at the library etc. The kids haven't noticed. :D If you have Amazon Prime..it is a big help as well. Especially when you have a book you really want to study. Two day free shipping! Eep!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

But it is kind of a fun feeling when you turn it in and get all of their junk out of your house! Those computers and things take up so much unnecessary room. :) I seriously felt my house breath a sigh of relief. Lol

I am actually worried about dropping down from 3 computers to 1 computer and 2 tablets.  How many computers do you have?  That's nearly all I'm worried about at this point.  I've been thinking about all of the things I would do differntly for months now, in fact we've been doing things differently lately.  But losing the computers and new books each year is my onle worry.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quoting amandae21:

I know there are a lot of k12 folks on this board, but I just want to say thanks for reminding me why we don't use it. We tried it for about 6 weeks and it just didn't work for us. There are a couple of virtual academy students at our co-op and I'm sometimes jealous of the ease of having someone else manage everything for you.

Good luck!

You're welcome.  I'm one of those people who believes everyone should do what is best for their family, and k12 isn't working for us anymore.

I think the ease (and my hubby feels better with someone else in charge) was the big reason we stuck with it as long as we did.  It was nice to get boxes of free books and supplies in the fall, but not worth the hassle.  Remember when someone else is in charge, it's difficult to quickly change tack to make things work for you.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Thanks, that makes me feel better.  I love books too, in fact many of the kindergarten books we already had!  DH takes care of all the amazon purchases. I'll ask him about Amazon Prime!

Thanks!

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

We rarely used the k12 computer. :) it was so slow and was forever needing an update. After the first year I took it down and put it under a bed for storage. We have a laptop and my cellphone. We are about to have a second laptop.
To be honest, we don't use the computers that much, and when we do it is usually together. Such as we will be studying something for science or history and decide to google/youtube the topic.
I thought I would miss the books, but having to send them back every year used to bug me. I love books and hated giving them back. Lol so I just order a few every couple months, pick some up at goodwill or the sale at the library etc. The kids haven't noticed. :D If you have Amazon Prime..it is a big help as well. Especially when you have a book you really want to study. Two day free shipping! Eep!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

cjsmom1
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you had such a hard time with K12. It's none of your mil's business and I wouldn't tell her. They're your kids and you have to do what you think is best for them.

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Ladies looking at homeschool curriculum I have heard Moving Beyond the Page is great.  It is aligned with state standards too!  We are going to sample a couple of units next month and then use it next year.  

themrsrick
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I was homeschooled through high school. I didn't get a diploma, but I did go to college. Message me if you want.

Quoting MsMcWithey:

California. My friends mom said you can fill out papers to make you your own school, so to speak, and then you don't have to follow state laws for curriculum (I don't agree with some of the things the schools teach, or the way they do it) but she didn't tell me if it would affect them going to college or getting a real. diploma. Do you know if that's true?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoriAlane8
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Every K12 school is a bit different. What state are you using K12 in? Also, have you talked to your teacher to see if anything else can be done?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN