Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just received an email revoking my asynchronous status.  Now my kindergartener will be required to attend 2 half hour class connect session every day.  It didn't work at the beginning of the school year, their program isn't working for us.  I've been busting my butt to compensate for their program. Now I am done.  Printed out my affidavit and as soon as I get it turned in, we are finished!

Update:  I wrote up my paper work over the weekend.  I went out and had my affidavit notarized on Tuesday (first time I could get an appointment) and sent it via certified mail to my district office.  I had called the distict office to tell them so that thy could start working out the funding stuff (their money needs to come back to them.)  I printed off the report ards and each week's learning plan t prove the first 102 days are already accounted for.  Then I sent them a long letter about why we were withdrawling.  Now comes the pressure!  My goodness, I haven't gotten this many phone calls and this much attention from them since they were trying to get us to sign up in the first place.  They are promising everything but a trip to Disney!  I keep telling them "no dice."  And I had to let he phone go to voice mail today just to get our lessons done!  The boys are so much happier, and so am I.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (41-50):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Pennsylvania. I was using the agora school.
The email was sent on Friday morning, I emailed, left voicemail messages to both his teacher and our family coach. No one contacted me. They already knew that their phonics program wasn't working for him and that 2 weeks ago I began using hooked on phonics instead. This to me is the message that if the program isn't working their answer is to force the program harder.
The system changed over the summer break, and we haven't been truly happy with it all year. I was willing to stick with it until year's end, but this is over the line.

Quoting LoriAlane8:

Every K12 school is a bit different. What state are you using K12 in? Also, have you talked to your teacher to see if anything else can be done?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I can easily homeschool completely free just by using my local library. I utilize inter-library loans a LOT. If your library isn't that great then check out other libraries in your area. We made a whole event of going to all the libraries locally and I made a log of the good points of each one. One library I only go to for their educational videos and another one has better activities. Oh and become friendly with the libraries especially the childrens one. I can now ask for certain items and they will get them for me with the grants that they get. They know that I will use them and that is what the money is for. I love it. Yeah I buy stuff now but it is always things I know I will use repeatedly and I bargain shop through Amazon.  

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Good to know cuz I was thinking of enrolling dds in k12... anyone know a good homeschool program with a reasonable price????

awilliams77
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We used Connections Academy in2009, thinking that it would be easier.
It was NOT! We dropped out at winter break. Our kids were in grade 4, 8, and 10. It was terrible. We have always homeschooled, used co-ops, classes, field trips, unit studies, and such. But jumping through all those hoops, even to get registered, was a real pain.
That said, I think that virtual schools can be a good transition from public school to homeschool.
But it was not for us.

Quoting amandae21:

I know there are a lot of k12 folks on this board, but I just want to say thanks for reminding me why we don't use it. We tried it for about 6 weeks and it just didn't work for us. There are a couple of virtual academy students at our co-op and I'm sometimes jealous of the ease of having someone else manage everything for you.

Good luck!

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I've home schooled in California for years under an R-4.  You do have to follow state law, but the state law is essentially that your have to offer the equivalent of courses that are available in a public school education (I'm paraphrasing heavily here).  You can go to the HSLDA website and get more information if you need to. 

One thing that I will say is that I was told by an HSLDA-recommended attorney (we were having an issue when my son wanted to go to a public high school after 9th grade and they wouldn't transfer units -- a long and unrelated story) that although in theory colleges accept home schooled students, the hard reality is that often the home schooled student needs to go to a community college or the like to gain credibility.  This is something that you need to consider.  However, when the son that decided to go to high school (he ultimately ended up at a small, private high school for a variety of reasons) did apply to college at least one of the campuses in the U.C. system asked to see a portfolio because of the home schooling.  It turned out that my son didn't have to do that (since he had three years of accredited work at a "regular" school), but the point is that they clearly had a procedure and policy for evaluating home schooled students.  Thus, I don't know what to believe when it comes to acceptance in college.     

Regarding the diploma, that's issued by the school.  As a private school (that's essentially what the R-4 does), you would issue the diploma.  Now, as to whether it would be accepted by a particular organization is a different question.  However, the HSLDA does, I believe, take on cases where R-4 school diplomas are not accepted (and, to tell you the truth, I was never asked for my diploma, ever -- transcripts, yes, for colleges, but for jobs, etc. folks were more interested in what I could do and the impression I made).  And, of course, if push came to shove your child could always take the G.E.D. which IS accepted  as the same as a high school diploma(although it has somewhat negative implications -- i.e., that you "dropped out"). 

Quoting MsMcWithey:

California. My friends mom said you can fill out papers to make you your own school, so to speak, and then you don't have to follow state laws for curriculum (I don't agree with some of the things the schools teach, or the way they do it) but she didn't tell me if it would affect them going to college or getting a real. diploma. Do you know if that's true?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM

BUMP!

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you for the update.  It is exciting to hear how everything worked out for you and your boys.  Go girl go!

P.S. A real good phonics (and Language Arts) program is the board game Ring Around The Phonics (Early reader books are included).  It uses static cling letter cards so you can teach phonics, blends, spelling, vocabulary, foreign languages and more.  The activity cards release energy, and teach comprehension.  The kids love it,  because it is learning disguised as a game.   They get particularly excited about the blue ring and gold ring of knowledge which they place on their character when they land on or pass these two squares. 

you rock

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome! You stick to your guns girl!  You will never regret your decision, I promise you.  :)  

kttycat84
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM

When I started homeschooling, I looked in k12. It sounded like such a wonderful program. But, after getting some kind of information packet and talking to one of their reps, I was completely turned off. I told them politely I was no longer interested and thought that would be the end of it. They called back about half a dozen times each day for two weeks (between 7 am and 9 pm!) until I finally just lied. I told the guy that I had just gotten a new cell phone and had no clue who he was looking for. It drove me bananas.

I'm glad you and your boys are happier now! :) I wish you lots of luck getting them to back off!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kttycat84:

When I started homeschooling, I looked in k12. It sounded like such a wonderful program. But, after getting some kind of information packet and talking to one of their reps, I was completely turned off. I told them politely I was no longer interested and thought that would be the end of it. They called back about half a dozen times each day for two weeks (between 7 am and 9 pm!) until I finally just lied. I told the guy that I had just gotten a new cell phone and had no clue who he was looking for. It drove me bananas.

I'm glad you and your boys are happier now! :) I wish you lots of luck getting them to back off!

They can be very pushy!  Thanks, I'm afraid we're going to need that luck! :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck! Sorry they are being pests.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN