Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just received an email revoking my asynchronous status.  Now my kindergartener will be required to attend 2 half hour class connect session every day.  It didn't work at the beginning of the school year, their program isn't working for us.  I've been busting my butt to compensate for their program. Now I am done.  Printed out my affidavit and as soon as I get it turned in, we are finished!

Update:  I wrote up my paper work over the weekend.  I went out and had my affidavit notarized on Tuesday (first time I could get an appointment) and sent it via certified mail to my district office.  I had called the distict office to tell them so that thy could start working out the funding stuff (their money needs to come back to them.)  I printed off the report ards and each week's learning plan t prove the first 102 days are already accounted for.  Then I sent them a long letter about why we were withdrawling.  Now comes the pressure!  My goodness, I haven't gotten this many phone calls and this much attention from them since they were trying to get us to sign up in the first place.  They are promising everything but a trip to Disney!  I keep telling them "no dice."  And I had to let he phone go to voice mail today just to get our lessons done!  The boys are so much happier, and so am I.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (51-60):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romacox:

Thank you for the update.  It is exciting to hear how everything worked out for you and your boys.  Go girl go!

P.S. A real good phonics (and Language Arts) program is the board game Ring Around The Phonics (Early reader books are included).  It uses static cling letter cards so you can teach phonics, blends, spelling, vocabulary, foreign languages and more.  The activity cards release energy, and teach comprehension.  The kids love it,  because it is learning disguised as a game.   They get particularly excited about the blue ring and gold ring of knowledge which they place on their character when they land on or pass these two squares. 

you rock

That game is on my Amazon wish list!

jewel80
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I use k12, in ga and love it. But i also tell them my son cant learn this way so im teaching it thisw ay, he cant understand this so its being skipped and we aren't doing it! He has aspergers and is very particular about things, cars arent cars they are trucks mini vans cars vans jeeps, and colors arent maroon, crimson gold brass no they are red, yellow. So when certain things are taught on class connect i turn the volume off and he skips it. They know i do it they said its fine. I taylor the program to him even though its premade by skipping and changing things! The teacher has really helped me taylor the program to his needs and he doesnt have an iep or special ed yet! But i still change things, he even does half day because thats all he can handle. Im sorry your experience has been so bad, maybe i just lucked out with the teacher and staff at GCA??

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting amandae21:

I know there are a lot of k12 folks on this board, but I just want to say thanks for reminding me why we don't use it. We tried it for about 6 weeks and it just didn't work for us. There are a couple of virtual academy students at our co-op and I'm sometimes jealous of the ease of having someone else manage everything for you.

Good luck!

You're welcome.  I'm one of those people who believes everyone should do what is best for their family, and k12 isn't working for us anymore.

I think the ease (and my hubby feels better with someone else in charge) was the big reason we stuck with it as long as we did.  It was nice to get boxes of free books and supplies in the fall, but not worth the hassle.  Remember when someone else is in charge, it's difficult to quickly change tack to make things work for you.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Every k12 school is a bit different. And their program rules can change abruptly over summer break. Last year we loved the program. There was never a mandatory class connect, but there were a couple projects that we had to scan and hand in. This year they tied the attendance with the cc sessions and we had to ask permission to go at our own pace. Both of my sons were ahead in their lessons with mastered ratings on every test. Because of one test where our family coach came to our house and gave an aimsweb test, they revoked the permission.
I hope you don't take this as judging because it is not meant that way at all...but I could never log him into a class connect and then turn off the sound. And on the other hand, I shouldn't have to. They should know that I have his best interests in mind and I know what is best for him. Some kids don't test well and some kids don't do timed things well. The permission should never have hinged on a single data point.
It's a hierarchical public school system, so the parents typically get to sit back and wait for the teacher to decide what is best for the child, so it just isn't a good fit for our strange libertarian ideas.
I wish you the very best with them next year, I'm just very glad to be on my own now.

Quoting jewel80:

I use k12, in ga and love it. But i also tell them my son cant learn this way so im teaching it thisw ay, he cant understand this so its being skipped and we aren't doing it! He has aspergers and is very particular about things, cars arent cars they are trucks mini vans cars vans jeeps, and colors arent maroon, crimson gold brass no they are red, yellow. So when certain things are taught on class connect i turn the volume off and he skips it. They know i do it they said its fine. I taylor the program to him even though its premade by skipping and changing things! The teacher has really helped me taylor the program to his needs and he doesnt have an iep or special ed yet! But i still change things, he even does half day because thats all he can handle. Im sorry your experience has been so bad, maybe i just lucked out with the teacher and staff at GCA??

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting amandae21:

I know there are a lot of k12 folks on this board, but I just want to say thanks for reminding me why we don't use it. We tried it for about 6 weeks and it just didn't work for us. There are a couple of virtual academy students at our co-op and I'm sometimes jealous of the ease of having someone else manage everything for you.

Good luck!

You're welcome.  I'm one of those people who believes everyone should do what is best for their family, and k12 isn't working for us anymore.

I think the ease (and my hubby feels better with someone else in charge) was the big reason we stuck with it as long as we did.  It was nice to get boxes of free books and supplies in the fall, but not worth the hassle.  Remember when someone else is in charge, it's difficult to quickly change tack to make things work for you.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the update. Funny how they start noticing once you leave
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jewel80
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I understand your frustrations, the reason why i dont get upset about the cc sessions and i turn off the volume on some parts is my son has aspergers i will never find a class that can teach around all his isues they have a whole class to teach and it can be difficult with him. I cant ask the teacher hey when hhe answers it here with me forget the other kids just move on immediatly lol my son has a lot of issues with the way things are taught, if he was "normal" and the teaching was crappy or messed up i would fight to have it changed. I have also found the teacher makes a big difference and if you get a crappy or mean teacher it messes everything up! Unfortunatly that can happen at any school. If i wasnt disabled and a single mom with no help i would homeschool alone too. But i need the help from k12 everything planned out helps alot especially with my sons aspergers, sensory processing disorder, adhd, fine motor delay and my health problems i dont have the time or energy to homeschool alone. I havent had a babysitter in almost 2 yrs they havent seen dad in 6 yrs so k12 helps alot for my situation i couldnt do it alone.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Every k12 school is a bit different. And their program rules can change abruptly over summer break. Last year we loved the program. There was never a mandatory class connect, but there were a couple projects that we had to scan and hand in. This year they tied the attendance with the cc sessions and we had to ask permission to go at our own pace. Both of my sons were ahead in their lessons with mastered ratings on every test. Because of one test where our family coach came to our house and gave an aimsweb test, they revoked the permission.

I hope you don't take this as judging because it is not meant that way at all...but I could never log him into a class connect and then turn off the sound. And on the other hand, I shouldn't have to. They should know that I have his best interests in mind and I know what is best for him. Some kids don't test well and some kids don't do timed things well. The permission should never have hinged on a single data point.

It's a hierarchical public school system, so the parents typically get to sit back and wait for the teacher to decide what is best for the child, so it just isn't a good fit for our strange libertarian ideas.

I wish you the very best with them next year, I'm just very glad to be on my own now.

Quoting jewel80:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting amandae21:

Good luck!

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I requested some info from their website and they called me everyday at exactly 7pm asking if I had made a decision. I finally stopped answering the phone.

I never got the informational packet in the mail either.

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I know this post is old, but I want to come back and read this, so... Bump. 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... - Emerson  

Kat0038
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Wow I am so glad we didn't sign up for k12. They really like to push cyber academy around here. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Yes, you do have to follow state laws.  However, in most all cases, you can adjust your own lessons (or those created by other home educators)  to fit state guide lines, or supplement with them.  If  one does only what the state is doing,  they are providing no better for their  children than the state does.  (with the exception of safety,  .possibly )

Quoting MsMcWithey:

That's how I wanted to do it, but dont you have to follow state guidelines?

Quoting romacox:

When you home school, the whole world is your classroom, and that makes it very inexpensive.

How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans

Lesson Plans That Motivate

Different Methods Used By Home Educators. 

Quoting MsMcWithey:

Good to know cuz I was thinking of enrolling dds in k12... anyone know a good homeschool program with a reasonable price????

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Quoting Kat0038:

Wow I am so glad we didn't sign up for k12. They really like to push cyber academy around here. 

They really push it around here too.  I am very glad to be free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)