Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can I actually do the HS thing next year?

My oldest came home today with an essay of a note from her teacher. Despite tutoring and after school care help she is still failing. A lot of it comes down to defiance and just plain not wanting to do her work. She'd rather read, stare of into space  and play than do her work. She knows how important education is but if she doesn't have any motivation to do it in a classroom setting where she very much wants to be in the popularity contest; how will I ever motivate her and get her to complete school next year? This morning I was really gung-ho about next year. Now I feel like I'm facing a 10 feet high stone wall. I've thought about pulling her early instead of waiting til the end of the academic year in May. But it seems the baby is going to come any day now and I just don't think I can deal with new baby and full time teacher duties at the same time.

thoughts????

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

What state are you in? LOL I will try to find the answer for sure. It might have change or be different than Ohio.Also, finishing 180 won't be hard if she is learning through her deschooling. Deschooling doesn't mean no learning. It just means relax and learn about things you might not learn at the kitchen table or at a desk.

Quoting wunderwifey:

I thought I had read somewhere that I still had to finish the 180......

Quoting mem82:

If you pull her in the middle, the 180 days doesn't count. Deschooling doesn't involve curriculum, per say, so much as helping her learn through things that interest her.

Quoting wunderwifey:

Today she would have completed day 117. If I deschool how do I ensure she a) has 180 days by June 30. b) if I pull her now it will be with failing grades for science and math. how do I finish a curriculum for the rest of the year and hopefully get her grades up? I'm not just going to pass her cause I love her.

Quoting kirbymom:

Ahh. That is a tough place to be in.  You know what you could do? You could pull her out now and let her de-school the rest of the year and let her be home to help you when you need it. That alone is an education in and of itself. Plus, it would giver your daughter time to re-think what she is doing right now. Also, she can choose a subject or two or even just an interest that she likes and learns about it online, while you are recouping physically from having a baby.  You and she can learn together and enjoy that learning at the same time. Then, when it is time to start school and you are feeling more up to schooling, you can do so.  The beauty of homeschooling is that you can take your time. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM

As mem said, if you pull her out in mid-stream, the rest of her year doesn't count.  And even if you didn't pull her out until the end of the school year, that year wouldn't count either.  Homeschooling doesn't go by the same stabdards as the public school does.  So technically, if you homeschool her, she isn't failing. Plus she would have more time to actually grasp the concepts that she isn't grasping now. You wouldn't need a curriculum per say. You would focus on what she isn't understanding. And making it a bit more interesting to learn and a lot less pressured to learn it. Sometimes children can not learn. Not because they are not capable but because of the people teaching the subject.  All of the people that are her teachers and after school help, may not be teaching her in a way that she can connect with.  

Quoting wunderwifey:

Today she would have completed day 117. If I deschool how do I ensure she a) has 180 days by June 30. b) if I pull her now it will be with failing grades for science and math. how do I finish a curriculum for the rest of the year and hopefully get her grades up? I'm not just going to pass her cause I love her.

Quoting kirbymom:

Ahh. That is a tough place to be in.  You know what you could do? You could pull her out now and let her de-school the rest of the year and let her be home to help you when you need it. That alone is an education in and of itself. Plus, it would giver your daughter time to re-think what she is doing right now. Also, she can choose a subject or two or even just an interest that she likes and learns about it online, while you are recouping physically from having a baby.  You and she can learn together and enjoy that learning at the same time. Then, when it is time to start school and you are feeling more up to schooling, you can do so.  The beauty of homeschooling is that you can take your time. 

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM
SC. Thanks for the help and advice.I'm overwhelmed at what to do. Y'all are a godsend.

Quoting mem82:

What state are you in? LOL I will try to find the answer for sure. It might have change or be different than Ohio.Also, finishing 180 won't be hard if she is learning through her deschooling. Deschooling doesn't mean no learning. It just means relax and learn about things you might not learn at the kitchen table or at a desk.

Quoting wunderwifey:

I thought I had read somewhere that I still had to finish the 180......

Quoting mem82:

If you pull her in the middle, the 180 days doesn't count. Deschooling doesn't involve curriculum, per say, so much as helping her learn through things that interest her.

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting kirbymom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wunderwifey
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM
So if I pull her out her 5th grade year is a wash??? Sorry, I'm confused.

Quoting kirbymom:

As mem said, if you pull her out in mid-stream, the rest of her year doesn't count.  And even if you didn't pull her out until the end of the school year, that year wouldn't count either.  Homeschooling doesn't go by the same stabdards as the public school does.  So technically, if you homeschool her, she isn't failing. Plus she would have more time to actually grasp the concepts that she isn't grasping now. You wouldn't need a curriculum per say. You would focus on what she isn't understanding. And making it a bit more interesting to learn and a lot less pressured to learn it. Sometimes children can not learn. Not because they are not capable but because of the people teaching the subject.  All of the people that are her teachers and after school help, may not be teaching her in a way that she can connect with.  

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting kirbymom:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

http://www.schomeeducatorsassociation.org/lawetc.php

This website lists laws in SC...  sheez... I'm glad I'm not in SC!!

If it were me, I'd wait until the baby comes, but don't give up this year... keep trying everything you can.   Then de-school over the summer and get organized and then homeschool next year.   But that's just me, some one else might be able to do it.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

although, I want to point out that if she fails, everything is a wash anyway.

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I know. I just don't want to do something that is going to guarantee a failure. Whichever choice that may be.
I think its time for a lot of prayer.

Quoting KrissyKC:

although, I want to point out that if she fails, everything is a wash anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)