Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I like keeping a science curriculum on hand, even though we often do our own thing when it comes to science and history, but I'm curious about Apologia.  I keep hearing about how much so many people LOVE Apologia, from people here, other forums, and even local homeschoolers in our area.  If you are one of these people, please share.  What is it that everyone loves about it so much? 

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Replies (11-14):
swim-mom72
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The very last chapter is called "Growth & Developement." Part of this chapter is on mutations. And in this section the book disusses the theory of humans evolving from apes and why, because mutations are not always positive and forward moving, that it would not be possible. There was no specific timeline mentioned or any reference to years or dates.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I agree about the RS4K books that have been out for a while being on the lighter side. But they were suppose to be releasing a new, beefed up A&P book for the later junior high or early highschool years.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Is the Creation Confirmation young earth in anyway or does it just talk of God making us (because that is fine)?

We've used RS4K in the past; far too light for my taste.

Quoting swim-mom72:

The A&P book would not be a good fit for you then. You would have to skip the entire first chapter, because there about 5 pages on "Creation Confirmation." And every single chapter references scripture and makes a biblical tie-in. With this particular book, the whole premise is that God created us, every inch of us, and therefore every bit of anything related to A&P is because of Him.

Has Gravitas Press released their A&P book yet? They publish the Real Science 4 Kids books. Those would be secular, and very well done.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ladies who have used this - how heavy is the "literal creation" in the elementary books? I'd like to use the Apologia anatomy book next year, but we aren't literal creationists and prefer secular science. I do not mind references to God (we are Catholic), but I'd like to side step and leave out any references to "young earth" - is that possible in this book?

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I absolutely love apologia! We are forever pouring over them. They have wonderful pictures, they go deeper into information than most elementary science books do. The science projects are fun and easy. It is written as if you are having a conversation with the writer. I also love that it is Christian based.
Plus my son and daughter like it because it is so easily broken up and can quickly find the animal/planet/etc they are trying to look up and explore.
Also..some of the lessons tend to dip into the history side of things as well. Such as when we read about Whales, it explained about whalers, which whales they proferred to catch and what parts of their bodies were used and why.
We are currently working our way through 3 different Apologia science books. Not because I make them...because they want to. :)
These books have been a wonderful investment for our personal homeschool. They have and will get a lot of use by the time all of my kids are out of elementary school.
We almost never leave the house without an apologia science book in hand. :D
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

That's a great review. While we aren't literal creationists, our faith does call for believing God made us all, so it sounds like this may be a possibility for us. So long as there aren't any dates, we should be fine! Thank you!

I went to the Gravitas' website and there is no A&P book.

Quoting swim-mom72:

The very last chapter is called "Growth & Developement." Part of this chapter is on mutations. And in this section the book disusses the theory of humans evolving from apes and why, because mutations are not always positive and forward moving, that it would not be possible. There was no specific timeline mentioned or any reference to years or dates.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I agree about the RS4K books that have been out for a while being on the lighter side. But they were suppose to be releasing a new, beefed up A&P book for the later junior high or early highschool years.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Is the Creation Confirmation young earth in anyway or does it just talk of God making us (because that is fine)?

Quoting swim-mom72:

The A&P book would not be a good fit for you then. You would have to skip the entire first chapter, because there about 5 pages on "Creation Confirmation." And every single chapter references scripture and makes a biblical tie-in. With this particular book, the whole premise is that God created us, every inch of us, and therefore every bit of anything related to A&P is because of Him.

Has Gravitas Press released their A&P book yet? They publish the Real Science 4 Kids books. Those would be secular, and very well done.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ladies who have used this - how heavy is the "literal creation" in the elementary books? I'd like to use the Apologia anatomy book next year, but we aren't literal creationists and prefer secular science. I do not mind references to God (we are Catholic), but I'd like to side step and leave out any references to "young earth" - is that possible in this book?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I am glad I was helpful : )

And if you do decide to go with the A&P book, I strongly suggest getting the notbooking journal as well. Although there are some things I found tedious and a bit redundant in the journal, it was a wonderful tool for reinforcing the material found in the book.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

That's a great review. While we aren't literal creationists, our faith does call for believing God made us all, so it sounds like this may be a possibility for us. So long as there aren't any dates, we should be fine! Thank you!

I went to the Gravitas' website and there is no A&P book.

Quoting swim-mom72:

I hope this helps.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN