Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why isn't there a HS tax deduction??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just a little rant...

I pay my local/state/federal taxes. Why is there no deduction for homeschool expenses? Or private school for that matter? Why do I have to spend 7.5% of my income to deduct medical expenses (for instance, private insurance premiums not paid for by employer... and therefore not paid pre-tax).

end rant. :/

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I wouldn't mind a small one but they'd just make us jump through hoops to get it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

There isn't one because then the public would not be able to benefit from it. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM
The public schools are strugglingalready...If they subtracted fund for those that don't use their services they would be bankrupt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandae21
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Being able to deduct HS/private school expenses would be different than only those who use PS pay for it. Individual income taxes don't support the school anyway. Most school money comes from local/state taxes (property, state income tax etc).

I just think if educators can deduct their expenses for teaching kids, why can't I deduct my expenses for teaching mine? No one funds homeschool other than the parents/family. The money spent on education shouldn't be counted toward taxable income. That's what a deduction is... something that subtracts from your taxable income. So if I deducted $500 for HS supplies, my taxable income would go down. Sounds like small change but for those who itemize (me) every dollar helps.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

The public schools are strugglingalready...If they subtracted fund for those that don't use their services they would be bankrupt.

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We have to pay into the public schools where I live through taxes whether we have kids in public schools or not.  However, public schools don't get additional funds from the state for kids who are homeschooled or private-schooled - as it should be.  Rhetorically, why would they get money for kids who aren't in the system?

It sure would be nice to get an education deduction - and that doesn't have to come with any more strings than other deductions that lower taxable income (camp, medical, general, daycare, etc.).  If all I had to do was save and submit my receipts as proof of purchase in the unlikely event of an audit, it wouldn't be a problem.  We already save meaningful receipts.  Educational expenses would just warrant another folder.

Christine0813
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I don't want one. That just means more control on what we should do as home-schoolers. No thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)