Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was the reason you decide on homeschooling?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son and I are very new to this homeschooling, like two days worth. He was enrolled in public school and older children were bullying him. He's in the first grade and these children were in the 3rd grade. I complained to the BOE and it seemed to have no affect on them. My son was crying and holding on to dear life as soon as we arrived to the school. I couldn't take it no more and that's when I decided to homeschool. I went to the BOE and talked to the attendence director. She tried to sway my decision by stating "first and second grade are crucial". I thought to myself "yeah so you want me to feed my child to the pack of wolves unprotected, I think not" After filing the notice of intent to homeschool, I'm free from the BOE.

So I was wondering, what was your reason you decide to homeschool?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Because it was the right fit for our family.  If I have any control over it our youngest DD wil never see the inside of a PS.  Our oldest was adopted.  She was HS to start with taken from our care and then placed into PS.  At the end of K year she has gone back to HS.  It just works for us.

leighp1
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

It started out to be for medical reasons.  Now, I think we just like it better.  Even my older daughter thinks about being homeschooled, but to be honest, she is taking high school and college credits at the same time and she will graduate with a diploma and a AA degree at the same time for free, so she doesn't want to leave that.

I saw bullying a lot while volunteering and being a substitute teacher.  I even saw how the teachers and principals responded it it. "just childs play", "they didn't mean it like that".  I think anytime another person hurts another's feelings it is a form of bullying and should not be stood for (that is because it happened to me over and over again and I was too scared to say anything).

I think you did the best thing for your son and I am sure he (and you) will be happier.  Good luck in your new adventure.

shamrock_momma
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM
I started because my son was being dragged along with the class even if he didn't grasp a concept. Also, because there was little to no supervision at recess and only girls would play with him, so long as he pretended to be a mommy. Then his school websitewas hacked by a terrorist group, though they say its a virus. I found this out on the news as the school didn't find it necessary to notify the parents. All of that on top of all the school violence and shootings just made me think that I could provide a better and safer environment at home and be able to customize hiseducation based on his needs.

Hope you enjoy homeschooling, and remember, there are a ton of resources out there to help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM

We chose to homeschool from the very beginning.  I wanted to foster a love of learning and books early on.  I had so many gaps in my educations and never wanted my kids told they couldn't learn something they are interested in.  It happened to me so many times in my education.  I realized that homeschooling was the easiest ways to accomplish my desires I had for my children.  I wanted them to have more freedom and direct role in how they were educated.  I wanted them to have choices.  I have discovered that sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.  It has been a wonderful adventure.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I just knew I could give them a better education - one where they could learn in whatever way their specific minds needed.

elizabooks
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I want my child to have all of the advantages I did growing up, but without the restrictions. I was both hs and went to ps. Ps during the day and hs as soon as I returned home. This led to socialization issues. I believe that she could receive a classic education (with the help of a few language tutors as I am no longer trilingual) with out the confusion of ps.
denmomof3
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM

We live in a very rural with only one public school.  My daughter was also being dragged along with the class and she was falling behind, especially in math.  We had a really bad year last year and I suddenly saw D's and F's on her report card.  Her teacher was lax about communication and while I was upset about her grades the teacher didn't seem to think it was a big deal.  My daughter's confidence went down hill and her teacher was big on belittling the kids.  She would send her up to the board to do a math problem and if my daughter didn't know how to do the problem, she would simply tell her that she is lazy while the kids in the class room would laugh.  We put up with it through the year and this year I decided to hs her.  She has really thrived and has learned the math concepts she was unable to grasp the last three years.  She is also reading quite a bit which is something the school seems to no longer require. To me the reading is so important.  I know that it really helped my oldest daughter who is now in graduate school.  She used to read a lot and it was because it was a requirement from the school.  I just think ps education has changed over the years.  If we had more school selections around this area I may have tried a charter or private school but unfortunately we don't have that choice.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't want to raise a cookie cutter kid.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Many reasons...

Inadequate curriculm

Kids being bullied by other kids and his teacher

Couldn't guarantee their safety...lost him off the bus 2x and had to send Sheriffs to search for him.

DS with a learning disability and the school refusing to provide services

Kids learning to curse, talk sex, and be racists in early elementary...

Inappropriate clothing ...idealizing sex ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My 7 year old went to kindergarten but between being bored and not wired to understand why a classroom should run a certain way and why she cant just learn the way she wants to. 

My 6 year old I kept home because I really wanted too, but she wants to go to public school next year so I will be trying again.

My 4 year old (in a few days) wont quite pooping his pants so he cant go to school yet.  But I will let him try.

My 2 year old we will see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)