Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What was the reason you decide on homeschooling?

My son and I are very new to this homeschooling, like two days worth. He was enrolled in public school and older children were bullying him. He's in the first grade and these children were in the 3rd grade. I complained to the BOE and it seemed to have no affect on them. My son was crying and holding on to dear life as soon as we arrived to the school. I couldn't take it no more and that's when I decided to homeschool. I went to the BOE and talked to the attendence director. She tried to sway my decision by stating "first and second grade are crucial". I thought to myself "yeah so you want me to feed my child to the pack of wolves unprotected, I think not" After filing the notice of intent to homeschool, I'm free from the BOE.

So I was wondering, what was your reason you decide to homeschool?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
QueenCreole313
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

My son didn't start having academic trouble until this year (4th grade). Bullying increased. He had 3 teachers in the first half of the school year. The change was unbearable for him. No one cared these kids weren't learning. I was sick of begging for the teachers and admin to do their jobs. I pulled my son out when a teacher kept rushing him to complete his work. (He's ADHD). No bueno! (I could go on but won't). Homeschooling has been awesome! I'm new to it too, about 3 weeks in. Be patient with yourself and your child. It's a learning process to become less institutionalized. But the benefits are amazing!

kttycat84
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM

We lived in NC until this past fall. They're age cutoff for k was much earlier than California's and I didn't want my oldest to be a year older than all of her classmates, so I homeschooled for k. When we got here, I enrolled her in public and it only lasted 2 weeks before I pulled her out. There are a lot of reasons my hubby and I decided to go back to homeschooling.

1. It's a year-round school and registration was supposed to start on a Monday. Their website, phone message and billboard in front of the school all had the same date. I walked with the kids to the school on Monday and the gates were locked and the date had been changed to the following day. I figured I had gotten confused and went back home. The same thing happened the next day. When I walked back up there Wednesday, the gates were locked but the sign hadn't changed. I called the school on my cell in their parking lot, they answered and said it was administration only and registration would start the next day. I told them they should change their sign, their phone message and their website and pick a day and stick with it and they told me I was lying and it had always been Thursday. As I walked away from the school, a janitor came out, looked at the sign and walked back into the school.

2. When I was finally able to register, they tried to tell me that because school isn't mandatory until 7 and 1st grade in NC and I hadn't registered with the state that they wouldn't count the k she'd done at home and she would have to repeat the grade. I fought with them and they finally agreed to try her in 1st on a trial basis, if she wasn't prepared enough, after 1 month she'd go back to k.

3. At orientation, I wandered through a maze of unconnected buildings until I found the building that housed one of the k classes and two of the 1st grade classes. It was a huge building and the classes were separated by partitions, like office cubicles are, not floor-to-ceiling or anything. They didn't run the length of the room and I wondered about kids being distracted by the other classes going on at the same time as theirs.

4. Luci's teacher gave her an assessment test on the first day of class. She asked her about her letters, to name each letter and to tell her what sounds they make. Luci had been reading Dr. Seuss books and other beginning reading books at home for a few months. She wouldn't read for her teacher because she gets shy and school was very new to her. She would come home crying at night saying her teacher didn't think she was smart. (I don't blame her teacher though. Her teacher was awesome, Luci is just very hard on herself and thinks other people think poorly of her, even if they don't say anything like that.)

5. After the first week, I asked the teacher for a conference. She said she thought Luci might benefit from going back to k because she'd never had time to get used to being in school. She was annoyed Luci asked to use the restroom during class time (since she'd always been at home, she'd always been able to use the bathroom when she needed and wasn't used to holding it until lunch or school was out). She said it was nice to see how excited Luci was about everything, but that her enthusiasm was distracting the other kids who were used to school. It bothered me that she asked me to talk to Luci and try to get her to a point where school wasn't exciting anymore.

6. When I'd ask Luci what she did at school, the reasons the school has less than 50% of its students at or above grade level became very clear. Their class of 30 would split into groups of 5 and work at stations. One group would work on computers, one would have art, one would write, one would work on math, one on reading and one would be doing something with the teacher. The class would sing songs as a group, combine with the other two classes in the building for story time (60 kids, 3 teachers and one parent helper!) and only had science once during the two weeks she was in class. I don't think there's any way that a student can get enough instruction if a teacher has to split their time between so many groups.

7. The final straw was the day that Luci came home with the class language arts textbook. Each student got a turn taking it home to practice reading. The story she was assigned was "Pat the Cat". The story had only a few words, "Pat the cat sat. No Pat the cat, no!" Over and over for about 10 pages, with different illustrations. I asked her teacher the next day and she said that it was all she thought Luci was capable of reading. The same night Luci had read me the 1st chapter in Little House in the Big Woods. It was brand-new to her, so I know she hadn't memorized it. Her teacher told me she strongly recommended k because Luci had to sound words out and hadn't memorized sight words.

8. There were also issues with a stolen/misplaced lunchbox, a lack of supervision/assistence when it came to buying lunch and a few other things. And, the school schedule (7:40-2:10 M, Tu, Th, Fr and 7:40-12:15 W) was very hard on my younger two since we had to walk to drop her off and pick her up. It completely messed up their naps, but we could have figured that out eventually.

We went full-speed into homeschooling when we first pulled her out, until about Thanksgiving. Then we took a break and didn't have daily school time (including weekends around here, lol) until after Christmas. There are still a few months left in the school year and she already meets or exceeds all of the state guidelines for the completion of 1st grade. There have been rough days, but there have been great days too that make me realize this is definitely the right choice for our family.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Violence was our ultimate reason.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! This.....

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Many reasons...

Inadequate curriculm

Kids being bullied by other kids and his teacher

Couldn't guarantee their safety...lost him off the bus 2x and had to send Sheriffs to search for him.

DS with a learning disability and the school refusing to provide services

Kids learning to curse, talk sex, and be racists in early elementary...

Inappropriate clothing ...idealizing sex ...

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

When my first child was born, and I realized "what? in just five years I'm supposed to send her out into the world???" LOL Seriously though, I just always wanted to do it. And then it just became our life. I'm a teacher by profession - stopped working full time when my oldest was a toddler - but we still just did 'school' like things every day - walk to the library, painting, reading together. There was never this big transition from "not homeschooling" to "homeschooling."

My husband now works from home, so we're a very AT-HOME family! :) But we love it.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I began this journey apx 20 yrs ago.  First and foremost I began because I just missed them soooo very much when they were gone. Secondly I hated the bullying and horrible things they were exposed to in the public schools. Plus several others.  I had not heard of home education before that or they would have already been home. The very week I heard of it I yanked them out :-)

livanded
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Our school district is not a very good one
But mostly because I have been teaching my children since the day they were born, why do I have to hand that over just because they reach 4 years old.
vamom21
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM
We had very good experienced PS teachers K - 2 but that changed when we learned PS are not generally willing to keep experienced teachers around, then the new grad teacher we had in 3rd was non communicative ... probably b/c she was overwhelmed with 25 kids...The curriculum was plain generic ... Bullying with no consequences for the bullies....20 min lunch 10 min of which were spent in line...rat race mentality...
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM

We're doing it as intervention for my oldest.  He isn't a square peg, not even round, and he just needs something that the school couldn't provide.  My 3 middle children are still in the charter we put them in this year, but my oldest we took out shortly after the holidays.  I also have a 4 year old at home, so that provides my oldest with a huge challenge.  :)

chlippr77
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:42 AM
I had wanted to hs from the beginning, but DH wanted PS (actually wanted the same school district we graduated from). We lived in a very small school district and we were happy for the most part for the first few years. Then our second child started school. Our oldest DD is the kind of child who quickly absorbs EVERYTHING, DS is very much not like that. He had the same preK teacher, and when I expressed concern about what he wasn't grasping, she said, "Oh, well you can always hold him back next year." It all went downhill from there. I had to go over his teacher's head to have him evaluated for special services. Once that happened, the spec ed. coordinator actually told me, "If you would put him on SoonerCare {medicaid} we would work with him." Why would we do that when we had insurance and didn't need medicaid? The following year, he did well in K, but that same teacher had our twin DDs. She constantly complained about them, refused to work with their disabilities (they both have significant neurological delays as well as other issues). We got through PreK, and went to the IEP meeting for the twins in September, where we were told they would not be working with them (special services) because they had decided that they would be repeating K. They gave up on the twins in September. Even after all this DH wanted to keep them in PS. Then we had problems with the principle being a bully to the children and trying to intimidate us. We went to the superintendent, and he assured us things were going to change. We said we would leave the
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN