Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decorate my HS room for me :)

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM
  • 16 Replies

We're buying a house and I made sure that it would have a HS room. Now that we're closer to closing and everything is going smoothly, I've been decorating the house in my head. I'm a little stuck on the HS room though. I want to make it cheery and inviting and fun. Unfortunately, I'm not the most creative.

This is the room from each end. The walls are a drab green and there is no ceiling light. The carpet is your standard tan color but it is newer and soft and plushy.

This is the shelving that will be in the room and it has a matching desk.

Any ideas are totally welcome.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifesadream83
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

this is what i have done with our space until we move in 4 months http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151079814158887.461257.556798886&type=3

other then that i would look at rooms on pottery barn kids and google homeschool room ideas.... thats what i did

congrats on the house!

Clh1989
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I would start with some long curtains for the window and a rug that coordinates somehow. Put that shelf along the back wall and the desk on the other way near the smaller window. I love the big window, maybe you could make a cushioned bench seat for reading in front of it.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can have someone hunt up a whitboard or a chalk board, you could use it to put on one of those lovely spacious walls. 

We have one and it looks like this...

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Oh and the whiteboard only cost us $25 as someone was going to throw it away. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't want a board, you could buy chalkboard or whiteboard paints... they are fun.   You can get creative with your shapes that way...

Also, they make some peel and stick chalkboard stuff (name brand: Wallies) and sell some at walmart and there's more on the wallies website.

My preferences is to keep it simple...  We are Christian, and so would put some inspirational scripture on the wall and have a corner for the Christian flag, Amer flag, etc...  plus a good clock...

My kids (11 and under) enjoy bean bag chairs because they can go anywhere for reading or listening or whatnot...  

We use computers, and I'd create a computer corner, and have the desk itself somewhere near the windows so that natural light can come in on good days... but have a good lamp on or near it too.

I have 4 kids, and we like having a work table we can all gather around too, even if it's drop leaf or something so that we can also fold it down for space.

My house isn't so organized, this is all the space I have for homeschooling.

anyway, we have a semi roomy living room, but I get about 1/3 of it for homeschooling stuff.   We rent, so I don't hang anything major on the walls either.   Can't do anything permanent... etc...

So, we have the one table, some lap tops, and a corner for craft supplies, a three drawer cart for more craft supplies, and the small pantry tower for the school books.  I keep library books on the bottom shelf of an end table I have.   

I have four kids... 11, 8, almost 5, and 8 months.   I feel as if I'm pulling my hair out trying to have space for it all.  It's very disheartening to have a sloppy living room.  I hate having visitors because unless you homeschool several children like I do in a small space, you just don't understand.

momof030404
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

If  you want a cheap White board you can go to Lowes and get an 8' by 4' shower board that works perfect and is only $11! We LOOOVE ours!

momof030404
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM

The schedule at the end of that album is AWESOME! Did you make that on your own? I have been looking for something JUST like that!

Quoting lifesadream83:

this is what i have done with our space until we move in 4 months http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151079814158887.461257.556798886&type=3

other then that i would look at rooms on pottery barn kids and google homeschool room ideas.... thats what i did

congrats on the house!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

One warning about making your own charts on dry erase boards...  dry erase markers can remove permanent so permanent markers don't work.   You are better off using some type of tape... floral?  or thin sliced electrical? 

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

The outline is based on Sonlights schedule. I made the template and then i just edit a new one for each week.  I print two one for records and one as a check list that i can spill my coffee on :)

Quoting momof030404:

The schedule at the end of that album is AWESOME! Did you make that on your own? I have been looking for something JUST like that!

Quoting lifesadream83:

congrats on the house!

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

i was going to post the word doc for you but there doesnt seem to be a way to post a file.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)