Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What does a 1st grader need to know

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son is almost 7 & in 1st grade. He has really been struggling with the workbooks so I am starting unit studies for him. What I was wondering is what does he need to know before he starts 2nd grade... I want to make sure he's learning what he needs to & doesn't fall behind.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Look into this book series if you are that concerned. I found all of them at a second hand store I frequent. They have some great information in them.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/what-your-first-grader-needs-to-know-e-d-hirsch/1100271659?ean=9780307568489&itm=1&USRI=what+a+1st+grader+needs+to+know&

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study

(Sorry I can't seem to be able to copy and paste.)

This is very helpful I was given this on one of my posts asking the same question. Hope it helps!

kttycat84
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I googled my state's curriculum standards to see what they expect a child to know by the end of the grade. I don't follow them exactly, but it gave me a good idea of what areas we needed to put more focus on.

NightOwls
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp will be an excellent guide for you.  I agree with Rust.......those books are VERY helpful as well.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

i did this too for my son for K and will for 1st as well

Quoting kttycat84:

I googled my state's curriculum standards to see what they expect a child to know by the end of the grade. I don't follow them exactly, but it gave me a good idea of what areas we needed to put more focus on.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM

this is a nice series

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Look into this book series if you are that concerned. I found all of them at a second hand store I frequent. They have some great information in them.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/what-your-first-grader-needs-to-know-e-d-hirsch/1100271659?ean=9780307568489&itm=1&USRI=what+a+1st+grader+needs+to+know&

Jody59
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Remember  he is young and any thing he misses or gets behind on he has time to catch up.

We did not start our kids in math until age 10. And they all did fine and 3 of the 5 were very advanced in math.

Focus on his reading. They better reader he is the better he will be in all subjects. Read to him also and stop ever so often and ask him to tell you about what you just read him.

We also used the Hirsch books. You can sometimes find them used or in the library..

Jody

Check Out The Writing Course

tnovak
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

all numbers, letters and sounds.  And sight words, basic addition and subtraction facts up to 10.  reading books at a level 1- at least

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

The following article will help you Grade Level Requirements.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)