Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT- Americal girl doll! Defected?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: My American Girl Doll was...

Options:

Perfect

Defected

Defected, but sent a perfect replacement

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

This past Christmas, my daughter received an American Girl Doll. These dolls are very pricey IMO at $120+ a piece! Now for this kind of money I would expect a perfect doll, am I right?

Anyways, when the doll came in, it has some scuff looking marks on it. So, I called the company and they immediately sent out a new one. Well, the new one came and it too had the same marks, but different spots. So, again I called the company and they sent out a 3rd doll. I am thinking by now, surly they will check this doll prior to sending to insure perfection. Long story short, It too has scuff marks on the body!!!!

I am just so aggravated that this pricey doll has obvious poor craftsmanship :(

Has anyone else had issue like this?

Not sure what to do. My daughter loves her doll, but of course we both our disappointed with the marks. Debating whether to demand a refund or at least a discount....

Thoughts?

TIA :)

Keri ~ A Homeschooling Mom who is a Student too! ~> A College Student that is !  ;')

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Huh. No, we haven't had that issue. Are they maybe getting scuffed during shipping? Honestly, my dd and her friends collect these dolls and I've never heard of anyone having this issue.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Ours were all perfect. You can send the doll back for a new one. I would.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Sorry, but we don't own one.  So here is a bump for you.  :) 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Honestly, if Missie's doll had any scoffs we didn't notice. LOL

Clh1989
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM
We only have one but it doesn't have any scuff marks. I wonder if whoever is shipping yours is being rough with the box.
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

My MIL orderd 4 different dolls at Christmas.  Only 1 of the 4 had defects.  She called and they sent her a new one that is absolutely perfect.  She bought a set of bitty twins and each of my girls an American Girl that looks similar to them, but is waiting a few more years before she gives them to the girls.  She wants to make sure they are old enough to care for a doll like that, but wanted to purchase before the prices went up again.

I would call them back and ask for them to send another one.....hopefully someone can take a peak at it before it is shpipped to make sure it is defect free.  We have now had 5 dolls purchased from them and only one had defects and they took care of it immediately.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We've never received a defective AG doll. I'm surprised the trouble you've had - that is definitely frustrating! 

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I have never bought one but I would be POed if I had the same experience as you are having & I would let them know I would not be satisfied until I got a perfect one for the price or a discount because they cant get me a perfect one.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I've not heard of people receiving repeat defective dolls. There are other dolls who look very similar (but cuter, IMO) to ADs, and start at $18 and up. $120 is an awful lot to pay for a doll for it to arrive in a defective condition three times in a row.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM
That's crazy. I wonder how they are different from those dolls at target for $20. I just can't see why people spend so much. (That was not a knock at you, I am genuinely curious what the deal is. Lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)