Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you learning this week?

Posted by   + Show Post

What's on the agenda this week, ladies?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Replies (11-19):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

We have, thank you. DD11 is dyslexic and has working memory problems, making memorizing certain rules very difficult for her. I think I'll go check it out again and see if I can talk her into listening to it. Lol.

I love school house rock and can't wait to use it with my two younger kids!

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Math: We are going to wedge back and start from the beginning in Pre-A; I want her super solid before starting Algebra 1 next year since she'll be a younger algebra student.

Grammar: Prepositions. God help me - this child doesn't care for grammar, lol.

Science: continuing in our neurology book a la Ellen McHenry

History: more Puritans and their problems! Lol - American history.

Religion: Working on memorizing the Apostle's Creed (she's finding this difficult) and reading about/memorizing the sacraments.

Memory: she has memory work in each of the above subjects including some Great Words and latin verses.

Literature: she'll continue to read through her book The Hunger Games.

Grammar: Prepositions. God help me - this child doesn't care for grammar, lol.

please look up grammar rock and school house rock Prepositions. That is what helped them.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
More Roman numerals, making bread, valentines, Julia is learning how to do diaper laundry (hehee) planets, and night animals
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Ds1 (4th grade) is learning about

history- WWII

English- spelling words with ou and ow, verb tenses (past, present, future)

Science- plant seeds and online lapbooking class on Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins.

Math- Multiplying by 2 digit numbers and mixed numbers and improper fractions

Valentines' craft projects

DS2- preschool

Letter Gg, Valentines craft projects, colors- red and pink, shape - heart

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I honestly can't tell you yet. Lol I didn't do lesson plans last night. Plus we have a day or so to catch up from last week. We are finishing it up and then I will lesson plan tonight.
I normally just move what we didn't get done forward to the next week..but figured it was pointless because we would do it all today. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kttycat84
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Reading ~ Luci's reading her sisters a bedtime story every night from WeGiveBooks.org, and she's reading the lessons/directions with the rest of her schoolwork. She also has to read from her Jack and Janet book on her own while I make dinner. Together, she and I are reading some of the Boxcar Children books.

Grammar ~ She's nailed nouns and adjectives, so we're moving on to verbs and adverbs.

Math ~ She's mastered counting by 5s and 10s, so we're working on counting by 2s. She's also working on money and place value.

Science ~ She asked about earthquakes, so this week we've been studying plate tectonics. We're also doing the carnation in colored water experiment. Oh, and we pick a different animal every day to learn about. Yesterday it was sea stars, and even I learned something, lol. I had no clue they could have 40 arms or that they had 2 stomachs.

History/Social Studies ~ I bought a Nat Geo/McGraw Hill 1st grade social studies textbook and we're doing one lesson from that each day. We're also talking about the American Revolution since she loves learning about George Washington.

Art ~ We're learning about abstract art right now and how artists sometimes try to create a feeling instead of a story. I can't stand abstract art, but she has this thing for Picasso so we're going with it :)

energygirl
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

usual curriculum...but also made it "safety week" so we have been doing fire drills, playing "lost at the store" ....and "ups comes to the door while mom is in the potty :)" so what do you do?  We reviewed our address and phone number (phone to the tune of twinkle little star) whenever we drove down our street for a few weeks....so that part it done...but the rest I like to review and role play about 3 times a year....

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

That sounds like a great idea! I should do a review.

Quoting energygirl:

usual curriculum...but also made it "safety week" so we have been doing fire drills, playing "lost at the store" ....and "ups comes to the door while mom is in the potty :)" so what do you do?  We reviewed our address and phone number (phone to the tune of twinkle little star) whenever we drove down our street for a few weeks....so that part it done...but the rest I like to review and role play about 3 times a year....

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

It is very windy today so t's the perfect day to do LOTS of outdoors science.  We are finishing up our rocks lessons and beginning weather and the changing season.

We just ot The Story of the World and the world atlas in the mail, so if the weather gets cold again tomorrow, we'll hit a few of our ancient history lessons, but I'm really hoping to stay on our science kick. 

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM

We are learning about Killer Whales,Valentines Day,Multiplication tables..Working on adding and sight words with Sarah...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN