Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Your older kids clothes??? I have an 8 dd, 4 dd and an 8 month old ds. We are not done having children, I was wondering what other moms did with clothes that don't fit anymore
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM

yes i save everything! and if i cant use it maybe someone else can!

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Yes I have..I have 6 daughters so it makes sense...lol..It's neat to see my youngest in clothes my eldest has worn years ago...But they do get brand new as well..

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Yes, I have boxes of clothes from newborn to size 7 - I have three girls, so I can pass them down!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brooked18
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Wow it must be really organized!!

Quoting lil_mama06:

Yes I have..I have 6 daughters so it makes sense...lol..It's neat to see my youngest in clothes my eldest has worn years ago...But they do get brand new as well..

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

My kids go girl, boy, girl, boy... so saving things for six to eight years is not really worth it.

Currently, I have been giving away stuff or selling the better things on craigslist in smaller lots.

However, back when things were soooo uber tight that every half of a penny counted... (((Not just every penny, but every half of a cent!!!)))... anyway, back then, my kids had a big shelf on top of their closet, and every season I went through their clothes.  

If it was big enough to fit the following year (because I do buy ahead)... I would fold it and store it on this shelf.

If it was stained up or ripped... I threw it in the trash...

If it was in decent condition, but wouldn't fit next year... then I would fold it up and sell the whole lot for cheap... like for example, I might have 125 pieces of clothes, and would only ask 25 or 50 bucks (pending on quality and such)... for the whole bag.

Then, I take that $25 (or more) and hit a local thrift store on one of their half-price days and load them back up again with maybe another 10-15 bucks thrown in.   

So, I would pay anywhere from 10 cents to $1.50 for their clothes and turn around and sell the lot for not much less.   It keeps them in clothes really well.

I'm still a thrift store junkie, but I don't NEED the money so badly that I can't give some away to people... so I do both now...

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I do for sentimental things or clothes in really good shape (not many). Other things get sold at consignment or donated to a local PTA ckothing bank.
wunderwifey
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
DH saved a good chunk of the girls' clothes up to 3T or so. We still have those and some of their gender nuetral stuff will get passed on to their brother. But now the oldest SD(10) passes her stuff to SD(9). Then her stuff gets donated to the orphanage. We will save similarly with DS's stuff unless we have a boy right behind him then anything that can still be worn will get saved/passed down. I do a lot of thrift store shopping too. They get new stuff at Christmas and birthdays and from the grandparents.
kttycat84
by Bonnie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I have three daughters: 6, 4 and 2. Right now when the 6 yo outgrows something, it goes straight into the 4 yos closet. Everything the 4 yo outgrows goes into a trash bag and put in the garage until the youngest grows into it. I label the bags with pieces of duct tape so I know which bag holds which size. We do the same thing with the clothes the youngest grows out of.

We have a one-season wardrobe, so that makes it easier. Even if we lived somewhere with a different climate we'd do the same thing though. I suppose we could afford to buy brand-new wardrobes for each kiddo, but it seems like a waste of money to me.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

If they are in good condition I donate them.  If they are special items like something from disney or something like that, we save it in a chest.

My daughter gave some of her shirts to her younger brother.  Since she has a lot of boy shirts from growing up, since she was a tomboy. 

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM

When my mom got custody of my niece I took ALL the clothes that didn't fit her any longer.  When she came to live with us I purged her clothes again.  She is now in my custody FT (adopted) and I save EVERYTHING that is worth saving so that my LO has some clothes.  Mine are however on different ends of the growth chart.  I have one that is 75% for height (ODD) and one that is 10% (YDD).  Very odd when we go out, b/c they differences are so staggering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)