Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need help with convincing DH to homeschool..

Posted by   + Show Post

LOL I have less than three weeks to convince DH to go back to homeschooling - DD's contract for the 2nd grade is due 3/1.

One of DH's arguments is that how can I work if they are at home and obviously the answer is I can't.  We would save an arm and a leg by not having them in private school but then he wants to know what I will do when they are older and then go to college.

We have a lot of things that will take a good while to get up on ebay (DH's entire childhood collection of baseball cards, comics, action figures) and that is easily a years worth of work if not more.  His argument on socialization is more easily fixed but this is the one area where I need some help in making my case more stable.

I could do better at spending less so may be I could offer that as part of my case but I need something more long term that will help him see retirement in a more positive light.

DH does not know anyone else that has homeschooled and infact many of his family would be against it....

Any other ideas?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Replies (11-15):
Jody59
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Obviously you have  a lot of things to think through. If you had to I am sure you could work from home and home school one second grader. Check out a curriculum called Robinson Curriculum. It promotes independent/self learning and focus on the basics. We used it and I have 2 out of college, 2 in college and 1 at home. 

Jody

Check Out The Writing Course

kiwimom74
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I love cleaning the house but just not with DH around.... we have different ways to get things done.  I have told him that if I ever went back to work we would need a cleaner... another expense to make him aware of.

Precious333
by Julia on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM

well, there are many moms that work while homeschooling. If the biggest thing he needs convicing on is that, than there are many options you can do, tto earn and homeschool (probably will work out better financially than private school....I bet you'll save a tom of money!). Right now I have several ways I earn some money. I teach a class for homeschoolers, I tutor for classicalconversations, and I also work from the home selling a product I love.

Maybe say "let me try homeschooling for "x" amount ot time", and see how that goes. I bet the kids will LOVE it, you will and it will ease his fears, although there also could be a few obstacles sometimes, especially if kids are use to something different. Also, there are so many different options for getting the kids involved with other kids, and being around homeschoolers may also ease his mind as well :)

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM

My husband and I own our own business and I work three afternoons a week at the business. I also homeschool our ds who is 6th grade. On the days I have to work we get started on time and don't take a lot of breaks. On the days I'm home all day we add in all the extra fun learning activities. It's been working great for us. Our ds also comes to our business and helps and is learning a lot about running business and social skills along with math. It all can be done you just have to find a good fit for you and your family.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Huh, I've never heard an opposition being "we'll, what are you gonna do 10 years from now?" Honestly I don't know how I would answer that, except maybe doing a home-study yourself once the kids are teenagers and need less 'teaching'?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN