Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Describe a typical homeschool day ...

I'm interested in how each of you choose to run your home academy. This is not for competitive purposes. But rather to share ideas.

Please describe a typical day or week in your homeschool.

What curriculum, books, games, websites can you not live without. How do you structure your day? The list can go on...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Replies (11-14):
NoraDun
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

We are not very structured. We normally get started by about 9-10. And We just go through each subject. We don't really do a lot of games. We were doing websites but I found he wanted to play more then work. Next year I am hoping to incorperate more computer into it. But I am hoping to be more structured too considering I will have a new baby in the house and will be schooling two instead of just one. If I can't get more structured and feel like I am doing a descent job I think next year will be our last year, I am worried I am messing them up, or not doing a good enjoy job!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM

We are using k12 with the older 2 and I do my own thing with the younger 3.  We do pledge, calendar and weather.

Then everyone does math for between 15 min for the younger 2 kids, 30 mins for the middle 2 kids and 1 hour for the oldest.  Unless they get done earlier.  Right now my 2 year old is learning shapes, my 2 4 year olds (niece and son) are adding with pictures, my 6 year old is working on addition and my 7 year old is adding and subtracting triple digets.

Then we do reading.  My 2 year old and son are working on the alphabet and letter sounds.  My 4 year old niece is learning word families am, an, and at.  She is doing great at that. These 3 are also working on The Three Billy Goats Gruff.  My 6 year old is going over phonics that she already knows. She reads at a 1st grade level. In lit. she just finished the Velviteen Rabbit.  My 7 year old is also working on phonics that she already knows.  She is reading at a secound grade level. She is reading the magic tree house.

After reading we do Science or history depending on the day.  They are learning about plants in Science and The younger kids are learning about different cultures while my oldest dd is learning about ancient Egypt.

tennisgal
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM

8-10am - kids up, dressed, breakfast, chores, playtime (mom cleans up kitchen)

10-12:30 - school (handwriting/math/Explode the Code/Lego challenges/technology time/science)

12:30-1:00 - lunch

1:00-1:30 dad does read-aloud (from our Lang. Arts book list)

1:30-3:00 - quiet time

3:00-5:00 - errands, art, Craft Club, freetime

KALmommy
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

We have no set schedule.  My kids get up between 8:00 and 9:00.  I have a K, 2nd and 4th grader.  We have math (singapore) and language arts in a folder for the older kids to do on their own while I work with my youngest (phonics, beginning reading, beginning math), we watch Liberty's Kids, Where in the World is Carmen San Diego or Bill Nye, Science Guy, depending on the day.  We have a fun book for history where we make pocket books for each unit.  My kids love it. Then we practice music.  DD has dance on Thursday nights.  They all go to a co-op on Mondays.  Our school takes us about 3 hours. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN