Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My Intro and a Question (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone and thanks for letting me join this board. I joined two other home school groups today and am putting basically the same message so forgive me if some of you are in the other ones as well. :)

This is my first year home schooling. I am a stepmom to three boys - 16, 9 and 7 - and a mom to a three year old boy. We have my stepsons 60/40, which means they are with us Monday through Wednesday, their mom Thursday and Friday, and then we alternate weekends. I arrange all the home school curriculum and homework, their mom follows up on her two days. It's a different arrangement. We are Jehovah's Witnesses and so I try to incorporate a lot of Christian home schooling on our days. We do Bible reading and memorization, family study out of various resource books, and other Bible activities.

Right now I am struggling because the two main reasons we pulled them from school were so they could catch up (they were in the worst school system in our state at their mom's house) and so that they would enjoy school more. The first is happening, but no one seems excited by any home school subjects.

I think I am TOO organized. I have lesson plans planned out two weeks in advance and there really isn't a lot of wiggle room in our schedule.

What do y'all do to keep your kids engaged and interested? What kind of projects do you use to incorporate a few of their subjects together?

I'd be happy to list what books I use. The main ones are A Beka math, Hooked on Phonics (for the 3yo and 7yo), and some "Daily" books for English by Evan Moor publishing.

I'm mostly happy with the books, but need some more simplistic English for the 16yo. I need to engage my kids more so they can hopefully grow to love reading and learning new things. What do I do? I feel so lost at times. Thanks everyone!

(My question is "what books do you use to teach grammar to a high schooler?" It needs to be simplified. Basic grammar lessons. Introducing subjects of sentences, nouns, pronouns, and such. He never had  a very good English education and needs to catch up.)

--Mara
SAHM   and teacher to my kids. 3yo DS, 16yo, 7yo, and 9yo stepsons (50/50). Hippie chic, cloth diapering mama, natural childbirth advocate, and still in love with my wonderful husband after we've been through so much together.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:52 AM

I'm pretty new to the homeschooling thing too, but what about looking into something like My Father's World?  It has some hands on activities from what I understand- the moms I have heard that use it say it helps keep their kids excited about learning.  I'm looking at that one and Sonlight... but not really sure.  

cjsmom1
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:21 AM
Try incorporating subjects they like and use their interests as learning activities. Do lots of hands on lessons. Go to museums, nature walks, library
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Welcome MaraJade 27.  You will find that the ladies here are awesome, very knowledgable, and willing to help. 

Following are some ideas to make things more interesting,  and at the bottom of the first link is information about homeschooling high school.

How To Home School

Lesson Plans That Motivate.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I have my children sit down and help me with the schedule and the subject and what they want to learn and why where do they want to go? We have free writing and I ask them questions open end questions. What do they like?

ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Home-School-​Your-Teen&id=1459936

www.squidoo.com/home-school-teens

school.familyeducation.com/home-​schooling/teen/37519.html

www.ehow.com/how_2059926_homeschool-​teenager.html -

www.wikihow.com/Homeschool

www.ehow.com/video_4403041_start-home-​schooling-kids.html

www.nncc.org/Curriculum/​care.multi.age.html

www.muslimhomeschool.net/forums/​showthread.php?47-How-to...

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Welcome! I don't have much advice, so I'll bump hoping you can get more replies :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I use Growing with Grammar. I don't think it's meant for high-school but it doesn't sound like you need a high-school curriculum for that subject. It's cheap and easy to use and and the lessons are well planned.

http://growingwithgrammar.com/

MaraJade27
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quoting bmw29:

I use Growing with Grammar. I don't think it's meant for high-school but it doesn't sound like you need a high-school curriculum for that subject. It's cheap and easy to use and and the lessons are well planned.

Does this have the answers in the back or do you need a teacher's guide?

bmw29
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The teachers guide is helpful but it doesn't cost much either. If you buy the complete set then it comes with everything you need. :)

Quoting MaraJade27:

Quoting bmw29:

Does this have the answers in the back or do you need a teacher's guide?

oredeb
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM

hi and welcome mara!!

you are organized!!hahahaha how bout some games with the subjects, movies, hands on activities and fun days!

for my high schoolers i use only rod and staff  english, used it for years!

the only subjects we really use textbooks for are math(saxon) and english(rod and staff) 

the rest of the curr is mainly unit studies and lots of fun! 

NoShame116
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM
My fav for English is The Latin Road to English Grammar. It's good for 6th grade and up. Your high schooler can also get foreign language credit too, since they will be learning Latin too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)