Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Intro and a Question (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone and thanks for letting me join this board. I joined two other home school groups today and am putting basically the same message so forgive me if some of you are in the other ones as well. :)

This is my first year home schooling. I am a stepmom to three boys - 16, 9 and 7 - and a mom to a three year old boy. We have my stepsons 60/40, which means they are with us Monday through Wednesday, their mom Thursday and Friday, and then we alternate weekends. I arrange all the home school curriculum and homework, their mom follows up on her two days. It's a different arrangement. We are Jehovah's Witnesses and so I try to incorporate a lot of Christian home schooling on our days. We do Bible reading and memorization, family study out of various resource books, and other Bible activities.

Right now I am struggling because the two main reasons we pulled them from school were so they could catch up (they were in the worst school system in our state at their mom's house) and so that they would enjoy school more. The first is happening, but no one seems excited by any home school subjects.

I think I am TOO organized. I have lesson plans planned out two weeks in advance and there really isn't a lot of wiggle room in our schedule.

What do y'all do to keep your kids engaged and interested? What kind of projects do you use to incorporate a few of their subjects together?

I'd be happy to list what books I use. The main ones are A Beka math, Hooked on Phonics (for the 3yo and 7yo), and some "Daily" books for English by Evan Moor publishing.

I'm mostly happy with the books, but need some more simplistic English for the 16yo. I need to engage my kids more so they can hopefully grow to love reading and learning new things. What do I do? I feel so lost at times. Thanks everyone!

(My question is "what books do you use to teach grammar to a high schooler?" It needs to be simplified. Basic grammar lessons. Introducing subjects of sentences, nouns, pronouns, and such. He never had  a very good English education and needs to catch up.)

--Mara
SAHM   and teacher to my kids. 3yo DS, 16yo, 7yo, and 9yo stepsons (50/50). Hippie chic, cloth diapering mama, natural childbirth advocate, and still in love with my wonderful husband after we've been through so much together.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Replies (11-15):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Have you tried incorporating some of the lessons with something you do around the house? Can the kids combine some of the lessons with learning to cook? How about taking a five minute break in between each lesson and something like jumping jacks or standin in place on one leg and see who can do it the longest while answering some of their questions?  Also, is it possible that your oldest can help the younger two with their english?  That would help him in his english, up to a point.  

MaraJade27
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I love these ideas. :)

thanks everyone.

Yes, he could help them with English a bit. Or maybe we could all do the 4th grader's English work together as a class. That might warm him up a bit to grammar.

Quoting kirbymom:

Have you tried incorporating some of the lessons with something you do around the house? Can the kids combine some of the lessons with learning to cook? How about taking a five minute break in between each lesson and something like jumping jacks or standin in place on one leg and see who can do it the longest while answering some of their questions?  Also, is it possible that your oldest can help the younger two with their english?  That would help him in his english, up to a point.  

tennisgal
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

sorry, my kids are younger. BUMP!

aldmom0408
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM
We are using abeka 4th grade language and it sounds like the curriculum for which you are looking. Parts of a sentence,all 8 parts of speech, writing reports and letters, diagraming... They have a wonderful way of explaining language. Very easy to understand...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM

You can read how I cope w/ being an organizer-TypeA personality HSing laid back kids here at my blog - http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Defining+our+HS

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)