Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

German homeschool case...

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 20 Replies
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/2013/201302110.asp

Let me know if you can't click on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:31 AM
It's not clicky
leighp1
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Here is the clicky for you

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Thank you!

Quoting leighp1:

Here is the clicky for you

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:07 AM

wow, thats kinda scary, the government could turn on homeschooling at any time,   and with the german family its happening now,

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM
There aren't many places in Europe that is homeschooling friendly.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, homeschooling is illegal in Germany. While I don't like that it's illegal, it's still illegal. The family knew they were partaking in an illegal activity and shouldn't be astounded that the authorities weren't happy about it?

I may believe prostitution should be legal but it isn't, and if I decide to stand on a street corner and sell my wares, I can't get angry when I'm arrested for it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NoShame116
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM
If the US Attorney General backs Germany on this and doesn't give them asylum, it my be, God forbid, just a matter of time til the US makes it illegal.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, homeschooling is illegal in Germany. While I don't like that it's illegal, it's still illegal. The family knew they were partaking in an illegal activity and shouldn't be astounded that the authorities weren't happy about it?

I may believe prostitution should be legal but it isn't, and if I decide to stand on a street corner and sell my wares, I can't get angry when I'm arrested for it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM
4 moms liked this

But where is the indication that the United States WANTS to make this illegal? There has never been any indication that the United States wants to, for example, do away with private schools in favor of across the board "state schools"; even our own president sends his children to a prestigious private school.

HSLDA plays the fear tactic game and I have a difficult time believing much of what I see from them (or, at least, I believe they tend to exaggerate).

Quoting NoShame116:

If the US Attorney General backs Germany on this and doesn't give them asylum, it my be, God forbid, just a matter of time til the US makes it illegal.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the American Government would be opening a can of worms if they did try to outlaw Homeschooling. There are so many more homeschoolers then are being counted in the few census that have been taken of us because a lot of homeschoolers don't want to be counted by the government but also don't want the government to take their rights away & would gladly fight to keep them.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I have a few questions.

Why are they requesting political asylum here? Why can't they just emigrate?

I mean, yes, it's terrible that homeschooling is illegal in Germany, but if they want to change it, then they need to fight in Germany, not from 4000 miles away. I don't think the SCOTUS should get involved with 1) another sovereign nation's laws regarding the education of its citizens or 2) the political or even religious posturing of one family that doesn't feel as if the laws of their nation apply to them.

Tempest in a teapot and we should stay out of it.

If they want to move here and homeschool their children, then just do it. There's no reason to apply for asylum. Simply follow the normal immigration procedure and follow through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)