Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/2013/201302110.asp

Let me know if you can't click on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Bingo. It's fairly easy to immigrate from Germany - why seek asylum? They WANT attention. Why? The US cannot force Germany to allow homeschooling, nor should they.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I have a few questions.

Why are they requesting political asylum here? Why can't they just emigrate?

I mean, yes, it's terrible that homeschooling is illegal in Germany, but if they want to change it, then they need to fight in Germany, not from 4000 miles away. I don't think the SCOTUS should get involved with 1) another sovereign nation's laws regarding the education of its citizens or 2) the political or even religious posturing of one family that doesn't feel as if the laws of their nation apply to them.

Tempest in a teapot and we should stay out of it.

If they want to move here and homeschool their children, then just do it. There's no reason to apply for asylum. Simply follow the normal immigration procedure and follow through.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

homeschoolx3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I have a few questions.

I mean, yes, it's terrible that homeschooling is illegal in Germany, but if they want to change it, then they need to fight in Germany, not from 4000 miles away. I don't think the SCOTUS should get involved with 1) another sovereign nation's laws regarding the education of its citizens or 2) the political or even religious posturing of one family that doesn't feel as if the laws of their nation apply to them.

If they want to move here and homeschool their children, then just do it. There's no reason to apply for asylum. Simply follow the normal immigration procedure and follow through.

Guess you forgot this is the same country that murdered a few million people based on their political and religious prefernce.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow. Really? That's where you went? How conversant are you with current German politics? Because it's my understanding that they don't actually operate concentration camps anymore. Nor does Angela Merkel have a little toothbrush moustache. When you're prepared to debate on the topic in front of us without the giant "xenophobe" sign on your head, we'll talk.

Quoting homeschoolx3:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I have a few questions.

Guess you forgot this is the same country that murdered a few million people based on their political and religious prefernce.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

And we enslaved, for hundreds of years, those with a different skin tone; enslaved them, beat them, murdered them, separated them, and considered them less than human.

Quoting homeschoolx3:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I have a few questions.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Hmmm... with a little research I found some disturbing parts to this story.  HSLDA contacted the family as part of their "outreach" to other countries and helped them relocate here in order to get our government involved. 

IMO this is pushing an issue in a seperate and sovereign nation.  They (HSLDA) pushed for asylum to make the case bigger and our immigration officials realized the flood gates this could open.  Think of all the families that may want to file for this asylum.

Nope, the family should have fought in Germany for their rights or just emigrated.  This is not something our gov't should be envolved in.  These people arent being beaten, mutilated, etc.  They were fined and their kids were not taken "away" but put in a public school.  As horrible as that may be, it is not something worthy of political assylum, IMO.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Could you point me in the direction you found your new information?  Thanks. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Hmmm... with a little research I found some disturbing parts to this story.  HSLDA contacted the family as part of their "outreach" to other countries and helped them relocate here in order to get our government involved. 

IMO this is pushing an issue in a seperate and sovereign nation.  They (HSLDA) pushed for asylum to make the case bigger and our immigration officials realized the flood gates this could open.  Think of all the families that may want to file for this asylum.

Nope, the family should have fought in Germany for their rights or just emigrated.  This is not something our gov't should be envolved in.  These people arent being beaten, mutilated, etc.  They were fined and their kids were not taken "away" but put in a public school.  As horrible as that may be, it is not something worthy of political assylum, IMO.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1968099,00.html

Here Time Mag says that

Quote:

Romeike's wife Hannelore tells TIME the family was contacted by the Virginia-based Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), which suggested they go to the U.S. and settle in Morristown, Tenn. The nonprofit organization, which defends the rights of the U.S. homeschooling community — with its estimated 2 million children, or about 4% of the total school-age population — is expanding its overseas outreach

Here's one that I'm reading now that is much more troublesome to me:

http://www.wnd.com/2011/10/355409/

It makes me worry about the UN, but I still think we should let other countries determine their own laws, etc.  So I'm just going back and forth with this website.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks! I appreciate this.  And with me being a news junkie.... :) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Here Time Mag says that

Quote:

Romeike's wife Hannelore tells TIME the family was contacted by the Virginia-based Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), which suggested they go to the U.S. and settle in Morristown, Tenn. The nonprofit organization, which defends the rights of the U.S. homeschooling community — with its estimated 2 million children, or about 4% of the total school-age population — is expanding its overseas outreach

It makes me worry about the UN, but I still think we should let other countries determine their own laws, etc.  So I'm just going back and forth with this website.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I'd love to hear your insights on that second one. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Here Time Mag says that

Quote:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Here Time Mag says that

Quote:

It is also troubling to me too. The perspective that I am seeing across the board, is that there truly isn't a country that believes a parent is qualified enough to teach their child(ren) anything, coming or going.  

I am completely appalled by that. I know for a fact that my older kids are smarter than our local teachers and are at level with most adults.  And yet, my government and other countries' governments are taking this view that a Degree'd individual is smarter and more capable of teaching (my) children better than a parent (me).  Let me give you an example of this type of thought in action.....

When our oldest was sick and had leukemia at 3 (14yrs ago), the local hospital that she was going to for treatment, told me that they were more capable of taking care of my daughter and probably could show her more love than I could and for me to go home until this was over.  Ummm...No, you are not more capable and you are not better able to love her and I will NOT go home until this was over.  What makes this truly ironic and disgusting is they all said how smart she was and how well educated she was for being 3 and that they all wished their children was or had been as smart as her at that age. And yet, I wasn't smart enough nor capable enough of taking care of her?

As it was, her personal doctor was teaching me to do the same things the nurses were doing. So, obviously I was capable. So that we could get her more comfortable at home instead of being in the hospital all the time. And if I am capable of doing this, I am as capable of teaching on an academic level as well.  And over the years, I have proven that way beyond anything oe test they could come up with that would show otherwise.

Plus, my belief is that the majority of parents out there could too, if given half a chance and had someone who believed they could.  Like I believe about the mom's here in this group. In fact, I know you mom's can.  Why do I believe this? Because I am not any smarter than anyone of you mom's here and I have done it. Which means, if I can do this, so then can you moms. I believe in you. Now believe in yourselves. 

okay. rant over. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)