Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you participate in this??

Posted by   + Show Post

Just got a letter from the school board inviting us to participate in Title IIA, Title IV & Idea B. They are federally funded programs that  provide supplimental services. Im just really leery of it & wondered your thoughts.

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Replies (11-19):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Any time a program is funded by the government means the government has a legal right to whoever is in the program and to be able to get into their business because that person or persons is taking money from them. Exactly like how a family member would feel too.  

Quoting mamabens:

It made it sound like it's mainly for kids with  special needs(my youngest daughter has sensory issues & aspergers, which is why we pulled her out of public school, long story), I personally am leaning towards not doing it, mainly because it's seeming like the gov & county will get into my business so to speak & I don't like that!

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah that's what I figured. Not that I blame them, if I'm utilizing something THEY are paying for. I just am not ok with it.

Quoting kirbymom:

Any time a program is funded by the government means the government has a legal right to whoever is in the program and to be able to get into their business because that person or persons is taking money from them. Exactly like how a family member would feel too.  

Quoting mamabens:

It made it sound like it's mainly for kids with  special needs(my youngest daughter has sensory issues & aspergers, which is why we pulled her out of public school, long story), I personally am leaning towards not doing it, mainly because it's seeming like the gov & county will get into my business so to speak & I don't like that!

BabyFruit Ticker

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, me too. That is why I write my own curriculum and why I homeschool my way. lol Because i am not going to be told when how or wherefore in regards to my family.  :)   

Quoting mamabens:

Yeah that's what I figured. Not that I blame them, if I'm utilizing something THEY are paying for. I just am not ok with it.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting mamabens:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I agree and disagree...

I think if it was clear what the expectations were going to be, then I'd feel more comfortable saying... "Ok, this would be helpful and I feel we could do such and such in order to get the extra help."

I've never had a negative experience, though, in dealing with school systems and such.   Other than the random teacher that thought I was doing wrong in HSing, the school boards themselves have been fine, and all..

But.. at the same time, if the agreement wasn't clear, or if there were things we had to allow that were against our beliefs and such....  

Then definately "No."

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

If you belong to the HSLDA, you could consider asking their lawyers to look over the offer... they might see things you would miss (legally).

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

i probably wouldnt since the government is doing it!

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I see your point. The only issues I have are that she'd have to  go to the school she used to attend for a few of the classes/help. The reason she's no longer in that school is because  she was having issues, being punished for not being able to sit still & do her work(refusing to allow her pe, art, computer time etc). I also went through the proper avenues to have her evaluated by the OT & was told flat out by the guidance  counselor that I would not get an approval for an eval from her & I'd not get it any other way. I tried other avenues but it all went back to her.(small town politics) So that was a long winded way to say I don't want her back in that environment. If they could come here or we could go to another school maybe I'd be ok with it, but since the gov. is involved probably not. lol

Quoting KrissyKC:

I agree and disagree...

I think if it was clear what the expectations were going to be, then I'd feel more comfortable saying... "Ok, this would be helpful and I feel we could do such and such in order to get the extra help."

I've never had a negative experience, though, in dealing with school systems and such.   Other than the random teacher that thought I was doing wrong in HSing, the school boards themselves have been fine, and all..

But.. at the same time, if the agreement wasn't clear, or if there were things we had to allow that were against our beliefs and such....  

Then definately "No."

BabyFruit Ticker

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not want to put my child back in a similar situation to the one that made me remove him from the ps to begin with.

Quoting mamabens:

I see your point. The only issues I have are that she'd have to  go to the school she used to attend for a few of the classes/help. The reason she's no longer in that school is because  she was having issues, being punished for not being able to sit still & do her work(refusing to allow her pe, art, computer time etc). I also went through the proper avenues to have her evaluated by the OT & was told flat out by the guidance  counselor that I would not get an approval for an eval from her & I'd not get it any other way. I tried other avenues but it all went back to her.(small town politics) So that was a long winded way to say I don't want her back in that environment. If they could come here or we could go to another school maybe I'd be ok with it, but since the gov. is involved probably not. lol

Quoting KrissyKC:

I agree and disagree...

Then definately "No."

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Id prob pass too. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)