Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you get worried if they aren't at grade level?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you ever get worried if your children get behind and aren't at grade level...even a little bitty bit of concern?  I know many of us homeschoolers don't go by "grade level", but follow our child's ability and pace.  However, I have to admit that sometimes I get a little concerned....and I have no idea what I'm even concerned about because we are under an umbrella school, so no tests, state standards, evaluations, etc!  My 6 year old would technically be in 1st grade if her were in school, but he's more at a mid-Kindergarten level.  I know he'll be fine, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one who lives by the "no grade level" theory, but still gets worried at times. 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (31-31):
KLove_Mom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Every skill has a "normal range". 

My older brother has the highest IQ in our family and is now a manager for a computer software company. But he didn't learn to read until he was 6. I learned to read at 4... so it had nothing to do with parenting.

Some kids just aren't interested as early, but once they get it, they master it even faster. 

If there's a developmental concern, you can ask your pediatrician what is normal. But every kid learns at their own pace. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)