Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you get worried if they aren't at grade level?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you ever get worried if your children get behind and aren't at grade level...even a little bitty bit of concern?  I know many of us homeschoolers don't go by "grade level", but follow our child's ability and pace.  However, I have to admit that sometimes I get a little concerned....and I have no idea what I'm even concerned about because we are under an umbrella school, so no tests, state standards, evaluations, etc!  My 6 year old would technically be in 1st grade if her were in school, but he's more at a mid-Kindergarten level.  I know he'll be fine, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one who lives by the "no grade level" theory, but still gets worried at times. 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I used to worry all the time but not any longer.  My son loved playing with math so many times that is what I would let him do instead of a tradational math lesson.  I would worry if he was learning enough math.  He started taking a computer science class and his teacher at co-op was amazed at his math ability.  He was able to logically figure our math he had never been taught.  I used to worry about writing then my son started writing this year all on his own.  He just started his own blog and loves writing as long as he is typing.  I think moms worrying comes natural but as we become experienced we realize  that as long as we listen to our child and our own instincts everything will turn out all right in the end.  As long as my kids are learning every day and enjoying it then I know they will be fine.  I don't worry that they are learning enough but I do make sure I am encouraging their interests at all times.  

lucsch
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I get less concerned as time goes by. I am sure my dd would test well, but we don't test. We just keep moving on, doing the next thing. If anything, she is ahead, for a 4th grader.

When I was choosing curriculum, and until I settled on something I like for her, I did use grade level as one point to consider has I was evaluating different ones. I am happy with their scopes and sequences, so the worry is minimized.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to admit that yes, I do struggle with "grade levels". I recently pulled my son out of conventional school. He's 4th grade, 10 years old. After evaluating him myself, I realized he didn't all of his multiplication facts and other things I believe a 4th graders should know. Unfortunately, they spend so much time "teaching to the tests", the children suffer and lack basic math skils. I decided to order a 3rd grade book and that's what we are working on now. I would rather spend the extra time now cementing his math skills then struggle in the higher maths later. He thinks some of them are too easy, but I think this is best. A little extra time on the basics and then we can blast ahead and do all kinds of cool things.

I think it's all manipulation from our culture as to what a child should learn when. Ask yourself what you think your X grader should learn and why. What's important for you and your child? Do you think this child will need to learn higher maths? Will they be an engineer or scientist? If not, as long as they master the basics and have good lifeskills, what does it really matter?

Good luck!

shamrock_momma
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I have worried quite a bit about that. Then I found this website that lists what a typical course of study is like for each grade. Though I don't use it to plan everything, I do keep our grade level printed so that I can keep track of where we are. I'm also planning on covering anything left on it when we finish our books but still have to meet the 180 days criteria. Hope this helps!

www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=216

Or you can just do a google search for typical course of study.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM

There are some days I do not worry and other days I panic. It doesn't help for me I'm sure that for the majority of the week I watch my neighbor's daughter who goes to a private school, and her daughter and mine are in the same grade. My daughter is ahead in math in some areas, and behind in others. She is definitely behind in spelling to some aspect. Science is always weird, because we're not learning the same stuff from the previous two years where mine is learning completly different things that they might not learn til middle school. We're not ahead by any means since we're just learning the bascis, but we're also not stuck on stuff just because... The two of them are constantly at a battle of "I'm smarter than you." It drives me crazy but when my daughter feels like she's behind, I feel like we need to take it up and get her "caught up." I have to remind myself constantly, we're just learning different things now, but at some point, we're all going to know the exact same stuff.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

i think its natural to have those sort of thoughts...but as long as you keep teaching and they are willing to learn...it should work itself out

ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My 6, almost 7 yr old is about where yours is. She is mid Kindergarten level on reading (math she would be very advanced in if I hadn't taken 3-4 months off from schooling her). Honestly, I'm not worried at all. She started "falling behind" because SHE wasn't ready to learn certain concepts. Now that she is ready and willing to learn things are being picked up much quicker. I plan to just go through the summer time and she should be caught up 100% by next summer (caught up as in on the same schedule as public school). We'll see what happens.

At this age they'll grasp concepts and ideas very quickly. If they're behind today, in a couple weeks they may be on par. Going at the child's pace is much more important to me than to have them at the specificed grade level. I'd rather my children know the material and be able to remember and apply it all throughout their lives than to learn it and spew it back and promptly forget it all.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I worry about it, but try not to spend too much time thinking aobut it.  We are not teaching exactly like the ps, so he will learn a little differently and at his own pace.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

So what do I do when I have to take my kids in for the state test (we're in NY) and if they do horrible I'm the one that will get "in trouble" Parts of the test we might not have chose to study but yet it's on the state test which she has to take and if she doesn't know it then she doesn't get it right. What are people suppose to do about that? 

I think my girls are very smart and we going by a lot of what the PS is doing but still we might not cover some of it. I was looking at the old ELA and Math state test and there was a couple of questions she will have to use a protractor, I don't even have a protractor, nothing has come up in our Math book yet about it! I want her prepared for the test but yet I don't want to focus on it. 

I want to kick the PS thinking way but it's hard when my girls will still have to take their test.

Quoting usmom3:

I used to worry about that stuff when I was more of the school mind but I have read a lot & learned that the arbitrary rules that the public school would have us believe is the way we all are supposed to learn is a lie.  Children can learn to read from as young as 2 or 3 to as old as 12 or 13 & learning writing & math has the same braud range. Every child is different & no one learners anything at the same age as others, even if they are in the school system they still learn at there own pace & if they are "behind" per the school standards they get labeled slow when in fact they are right on track for themselves.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:45 AM

no I test them in the begining and the end of the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)