Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Year round schooling?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
I really like the idea of year round schooling. My husband is gone 2 weeks/home 2 weeks and I planned out a "calendar" starting in January Til December. My question is this, we are pulling our girls this may at the end of this school year, what would I do from may Til January?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM

We used to do year round schooling the first three years we homeschooled.  I just schooled the kids in the summer just as I did any other time of the year and we would take our own breaks at different times than their public school peers.

You could feasibly start the kids in June after their school in May.  Maybe if they aren't used to or liking the idea of school in the summer create only a half days worth of work, take field trips or create more more hands on  experiences.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Take some time to de-school them...  do lots of field trips, read alouds, character studies, library trips, park days, etc...

Then, when they start wanting more, study things they want to study... they want to do Astronomy?? fine, go to the library, study the stars, find out whats going on in the night sky during that time, buy an affordable (or borrow) telescope... go on a trip to a planetarium...  if you like curriculum better, then find one that will work.   For example, Apologia (Christian) has an elementary Astronomy course that looks fun.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM
DESCHOOL http://www.livingjoyfully.ca/unschooling/getting_started/what_is_deschooling.htm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

play have fun play games watch movies do crafts play play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Would I get in trouble? Here we are required 180 days. They're in public school Til the end of this school year (may) I kinda wrote up a calendar for the year round school and we would go from January to December and its 180 days, but if we just did like child led learning until January (may-December this year) would that count as our "in school time" (sorry, I'm still new to learning this stuff LOL)

Quoting oredeb:

play have fun play games watch movies do crafts play play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jody59
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

We schooled year round. As they got older, the summers would be broken up a bit with camp and family vacation. I would suggest taking a short break or doing some field trip type things and  then just get started. There is no need to wait and we noticed that if the kids took too long of a break they forgot stuff, especially with math.

Jody

Check Out The Writing Course

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:05 PM

January to December isn't 180 days anyways.  The 180 days is from the time you start school.  And stop thinking of the time after May for graduation as part of schooling. You are thinnking of the summer months as part of those 180 days and they are not. When kids go back to school is really only a couple of months from Jabuary. So you really wouldn't have to worry since you would be starting in a few months anyways.  So in that time period you might just do half days of some schooling just to get your kids used to a type of homeschooling. Do lots of field trips if you have the financing or do lots of local walks around your neighborhood and do some science projects. This would get you by and cover you if there would b any questions. Which, there really shouldn't be.  

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Would I get in trouble? Here we are required 180 days. They're in public school Til the end of this school year (may) I kinda wrote up a calendar for the year round school and we would go from January to December and its 180 days, but if we just did like child led learning until January (may-December this year) would that count as our "in school time" (sorry, I'm still new to learning this stuff LOL)

Quoting oredeb:

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

yes child led learning!!! everything the kids do they are learning!

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Quoting oredeb:

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I pulled my kids out at the end of the school year last year.  I gave them two full months off.  We started end of August.  We go 4-5 weeks and then take a week off.  We will finish this school year in June. 

Next school year, I am planning on starting about 2 weeks after we finish the current year.  I think we are going to school for 4-5 weeks and then take off 2 weeks.  I have not sat down and did a tentative calendar or anything so I am not exactly sure how many weeks will go before taking off.  I also am planning on taking off 3 weeks for Christmas because everything is so busy during this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)