Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Law trying to be passed in IL

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
My hubby showed me a little article on his phone from our local tv station that there is a law trying to be passed in Illinois to get children to start school at 5 rather than 7 like it is now. I am wondering if this goes through what happens to us homeschooling parents. How do we go against this? Can they force us to send our kids to school? I am a bit concerned. I want to have the right to do with my son as I see fit, not being told I have to do something I'd rather not!
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-11/news/ct-met-truancy-school-age-20130212_1_attendance-age-compulsory-age-kindergarten-and-first-grade

Here's one of the articles about it.

I would say it just means you will have to register your homeschooler earlier.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

http://homeedmag.com/newscomm/compulsory-attendance/illinois_bill_lowering_compulsory_attendance_age_from_7_to_5_years_of_age/

Here's one by Home Ed Magazine  Probably this is where you would start if you want to get envolved in fighting the law.

oredeb
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM

no they cant force you, if you homeschool!  heres the law, http://homeschoollegaladvantage.com/files/statelaws/2012/ILPacket2012.pdf

it says you dont even have to register! and no testing required!! and only teach 176 days a year,  so it shouldnt matter to you at all!

illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM

The only thing it would change is that you'd have to do paperwork with the district at 5 instead of 7 to inform them that you will be homeschooling. Really not the end of the world. I live in Illinois too and I have 0 concerns about this new law. My plan was to officially start school this fall since DD is 5 now. A cute little homeschooling supply shop opened across the street from our library so we are super excited!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Most children already start school (whether in public, private, or homeschool) at 5; there is a mandatory age in all states and all that means is that your child has to start some type of "school" BY that age - it does not mean that you have to send your child off to public school.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Deb is right. I looked at the law and they even tell you you do not have to register even if someones  is saying you do.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)