Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Saving your child from embarrassment

Posted by   + Show Post

So....your child wants to play a sport.  You allow them to play but they have zero talent in this sport and actually look pretty silly out on the court.  Of course you don't want to say this to him!  But you know his peers will (and so far he doesn't seem to care what they say and is having fun).  Would you pull them out of the sport and try to redirect them to something that you know would better suit them (to protect them from the embarrassment of their peers)?  Or would you let them just live and learn?  I know they can't be protected from everything, but I know what it's like to be picked on and I don't want him to feel like I did.  Being a parent is tough sometimes!!!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (11-18):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

not sure...id let him stick to it a while longer tho..maybe he gets better or decides on his own he wants to do something else

MrsRinehart2010
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

um get them some extra training on the side? or jsut tell them they should try another sport next season to expand their experiences lol

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

No, don't pull him out because you think he's doing poorly.   They take time to improve at a sport.

Unless the child is miserable, hang in there, and keep being an encourager.   If the other kids say something and they notice, talk it out.   Don't shield them from it unless you think they really cannot handle it.

((this is coming from someone SEVERELY tormented all through school))

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I would not pull him out.  He is playing and having fun.  Improvement comes from playing and practicing.  Maybe you could work on come skills at home to help him become a better player.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think that I'd leave him in, eventually he will pick up on what the other kids are doing or saying and make sure you watch and address it when it comes up but in the mean time practice, practice practice at home. That will give him the opportunity to learn the game better and learn the skills he needs to get better.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM
8) I hope he improves! Michael Jordan didn't make his high basketball teamat ffirst.

Quoting rsrangel:

I never thought about it that way. Thank you!

Quoting mem82:

I agree. Pulling him out would indicate to him that you care about what others think of him. I would try to interest him in something else when the season is over.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If he is having fun, let him keep at it.  Maybe he'll improve or it'll give him a better respect for the sport. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Being a parent is tough!  If they really enjoy it, I'd let them continue on and deal with comments as they come- I know I've been surprised a few times and actully seen kids encourage one another, not put each other down.  A few times I had even seen one of the kids on my sons team pull him aside and try to help him in a positive way.  You never know what will come from that experience, and it's a great oppertunity to teach them that it doesn't matter what others say (if comments are said) and figure out healthy ways to handle hurtful things being said.  No parent wants their kids to be put down, but I think it would be more harmful to try and discourage something they really enjoy doing otherwise.  

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I may be the only one who would probably pull them out of the sport.  I would let them finish up that season and then in the future, I would just try to redirect them into something else. 

I have lived through this.  My boys love basketball, but they stink at it...lol.  However, they are very good at baseball and football.  So they have played baseball from the time they were 6, they are now 14.  We didn't let them play football until 7th grade, but now that we HS, they don't play football anymore.

We didn't pull them out for the reason of what others thought of them though, we pulled them out for their own self-esteem later on.  I would also say it depends on the age of the child.  If they are younger, then i would let them continue to play for a while, because he/she may just not have the coordination needed yet since all kids grow and mature at different rate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)