Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

teaching calendars?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm thinking maybe I need to focus a little bit on calendars (months, days etc). My son loves to know what is coming next, and I tend to be a bit go with the flow (well a lot actually). Also, I think its important too, but we have so many other things. I did buy a really nice dry erase magnetic board like 3 years ago, but I have nowhere to put it, and I'm afraid my 2 yr old will take off the magnets even if we did. I would like to hang it in their room, but their room is an add-on and can't support something that heavy DH says.  So, I don't know. They have used starfall a few times, but it would be nice to have something more visible. Any ideas?

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I got my kids their own calenders to hang in their room, I helped them write the things on the days we have stuff to do & used stickers on those days to make them more noticeable. Everyday they marked off the day & on the first of every month we would turn the Calender to the new month & I would explain a little about why the months change & home the seasons change & why some months are longer then others. We have done that for going on 3 years now & they have gotten the concept & understanding just from that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Julia on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

ok great! Maybe I will use stickers and such (they loive stickers!) and they did get some cool calendfars for Christmas too :)

Quoting usmom3:

I got my kids their own calenders to hang in their room, I helped them write the things on the days we have stuff to do & used stickers on those days to make them more noticeable. Everyday they marked off the day & on the first of every month we would turn the Calender to the new month & I would explain a little about why the months change & home the seasons change & why some months are longer then others. We have done that for going on 3 years now & they have gotten the concept & understanding just from that.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

You can also print out a calendar if you have a printer and have them do individual months.  usmom's idea is a great one.  :) 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I gave my boys planners.  They have the whole month plus a page dedicated to each week in the month.  We used stickers to show days they don't have school, appointments, parties, etc.  We took a couple minutes each day to say what day is it?  What day is tomorrow, what was yesterday?  We also kept track of the weather for a month in the planner, kept their planting information last March, Marked the beginning of each season, etc.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I just printed a free calendar for my daughter so we could plan our garden. She helped me fill in birthdays, holidays, important dates. Then my dad helped us figure out dates for when we should start seeds, plant, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

if you can..print out caledars and help them to fill them out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN