Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question about SC Homeschooling

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 8 Replies

HI! I need some advice. I am new to homeschooling. I live in SC and I was thinking about going through SC connection academy. My dd is in her local public school. There is been nothing but problems. The work is so behind what she is use to. How can go around using the public home school option and just make my own lesson plans? How do I get started? I don't care for all the state standardize testing. She is currently in her 3rd quarter at school and I will be withdrawing her to be home-schooled the remainder of the year. Any help would be appreciated.Thank you

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wunderwifey
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The SC law is written really wacky. But look into 3rd Option Homeschooling. Its the one we will be doing. (there are a few other SC moms on here too.) You'll have to notify the district that you're pulling her out. But they don't have to approve of your curriculum unless you go with the connections academy (option 1 under the law). Get with one of the accountability associations in your area (or one of the state-wide ones). Google has been my best friend in this whole thing.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM

If you go through the state virtual options (K12, Connections, Calvert) you CANNOT make your own plans; you have to use theirs, you are on their schedule, and you are required to do the standardized tests. You are still considered a public school family, not a homeschool family. This is considered "first option".

If you want to do things on your own (lesson plans, teaching, no testing, etc), you want "third option". This means that you are required to teach certain subjects, but get to choose your own books, curriculum, and make your own plans. You are required to also keep attendance and a portfolio. That's about it. Join an accountability association (we use Our Lady of Perpetual Help) and you're set. The difference is that you are legally considered a homeschool family and you must pay for everything yourself - in return, you have the freedom to do things your way.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM
75chance
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thanks!

75chance
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thanks for the advice!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

K12 and Calvert can be used with out the public school option, but it COSTS a lot.

Option 3, lets you go through and association, so you follow their rules, which follow the state law. 

To make your own plans, you will need to get your own curricula.  

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

This is the Association I use and I really like it and have had no problems with them.  It does cost money, but it's a lot cheaper than option 2 of the state laws.

Quoting romacox:

Grace Home School Association Of SC posts the State laws

Homeward Education Association Of SC posts the State Laws and options

Homeward Education Association also posts support groups.

Yes, you can create your own curriculum.  Following is an article to help you with that (other options included)  How To Home School

EnduringWon
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Connections is still the public school really, so ,other than being home on a computer, it is basically the same thing.

Third Option Homeschooling sounds the way to go for you and make your own curriculum.

Calvert is about a grand, but I am doing Classical Conversations and this coming year with both Foundations and Essentials and all the textbooks and supplies I will be spending about 1500. It is up to you how much you spend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN