Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help me not snap.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 11 Replies
Yesterday I took the girls(ages 9 and 7) on a field trip to the Maine state museum and the state house. While we were there, the girls got a tour of the whole building from the senate majority leader and a state representative. The got to sit in the chambers, get pictures with the representatives and ask questions.

They loved it, learned a lot and were all excited to come home and tell daddy(he is in Afghanistan). Well I get him on the phone, and 2 sentences in to me telling him about how they senate majority leader loved talking to them. He changes the subject and wants to talk about the state of the union address.

I got mad and said good night and hung up the phone. I know I shouldn't have hung up on him, but crap, the kids were so exited to tell him about it and it seemed like he didn't care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww sweetie, probably your talking about the government made him think of the SOTUA.  He didn't realize how excited the kids were.  I'm so sorry he wasn't as excited as you were.  Maybe next time, just have the kids tell him.  Kids usually portray their excitement better than we adults do.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I know how that feels. My husband works outside the home and I sometimes feel like what we do doesn't interest him,but he does try. I agree with pp though, I bet he would have reacted differently toward the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

My DH is only very little interested in the things we do...  he 100% wants me to HS, but I talk more about what we do with other homeschool moms than I do him.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

That is an awesome field trip.  Way to go girl.  If the girls want to share their story online  (free blog), let us know, and we will be sure to leave them a comment.  

edelweiss23
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!
It was quite by accident that the senate majority leader gave us a tour. I wanted to show them where I gave my speech(on adoption back in November) and we ran into him and he gave us a grand old tour!

Quoting romacox:

That is an awesome field trip.  Way to go girl.  If the girls want to share their story online  (free blog), let us know, and we will be sure to leave them a comment.  

edelweiss23
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I will have the kids try and tell him today(it was 11pm here in the states by the time he was awake over there).

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Aww sweetie, probably your talking about the government made him think of the SOTUA.  He didn't realize how excited the kids were.  I'm so sorry he wasn't as excited as you were.  Maybe next time, just have the kids tell him.  Kids usually portray their excitement better than we adults do.

oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

awwwww some times men need to get out what they want to talk about first! when dh comes home we let him talk and then we tell him what we did etc!

wow it sounds like you all had a good time, they even took pictures with them! thats amazing, did the people realize they were homeschoolers??

edelweiss23
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM
It was funny, the majority leader kept quizzing them about different subjects, and after a while, he turned to me and said "they are homeschooled, huh?"

I asked what gave it away and he said that a 7 year old telling him every name that was on the Declaration of Independence and then went into the first amendment rights. It was pretty funny!!!!

Quoting oredeb:

awwwww some times men need to get out what they want to talk about first! when dh comes home we let him talk and then we tell him what we did etc!

wow it sounds like you all had a good time, they even took pictures with them! thats amazing, did the people realize they were homeschoolers??

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Maybe he will be more receptive to their story today. He might have been having a bad day yesterday & couldn't tell how excited you where about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wunderwifey
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

As someone who has been deployed it actually surprises me that he wanted to talk about the SOTUA. Unless there was something in there that directly pertains to the military right now. - We don't have cable so I didn't get to watch it. I need to go look for the transcript later. Its quite possible that something was mentioned (maybe about the sequestrian and pay cuts) that he wanted to tell you and didn't want to forget while you told the kids' story. I think the field trip was great and that he probably really wants to hear about it. But when you have such a short amount of time to talk to family, you have to prioritize the conversation to make sure the important stuff get said. The girls and their education is extremely important - don't get me wrong. But honestly, if something was said about the pay cuts, I'd want to know about that first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN