Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Chosing a Lang Arts/Lit program for next year HELP please!

Posted by   + Show Post

I made my own literature program this year, and although it has been going fine...we're having trouble staying on track and my daughter likes to think because I don't have a "teachers manual" infront of me that wasn't actually published (she didn't like the one I made for myself :( lol) that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Soooo...I've decided to give up on making up my own stuff and we'll stick with boxed sets.

We're using All About Spelling for spelling, and I've been using Spectrum for Language Arts but she's getting really bored with it and I'm tired of fighting her with it. I really want to keep using AAS, but she'll be going into 4th next yr and AAR doesn't have anything and I really want a literature program for her.

My neighbor had suggested Sonlight and I'd like some extra opinions on their Literature/Lan Arts curriculum. I'm adding a link so those that use it can tell me if I'm even looking at the right thing... http://www.sonlight.com/readers-4-5.html My neighbor mentioned that even though it is a Christian company, there really isn't much religion mixed in with this? (We're donig all secular subjects). She also said it'd be easy to take out spelling.  If the link I posted is right, I can see that being reasonably priced for what is all included. 

I had someone else mention Lifepac. So out of curiosity I go look and also see Monarch and SOS. Again I notice it is a Christian company...so my first question...how indepth relgious does this go? I don't want to be reading Bible passages or having it heavily influenced with the different thigns she'd be reading. Lifepac is just labeled as Language Arts so does it have a good Literature aspect to it? From the samples I could see it looked like it wouldn't clash with still using AAS and didn't seem too bad, and the price was half that of Sonlight...

Does anyone know of a really good secular Langauge Arts/Literature boxed set? I'm still looking at reviews online between all the different programs I mentioned too, I just thought I'd ask for your opinions as well :)

Thank you!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Have you tried asking her how she would like to learn English?  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Yup. She flat out told me she hates it and would prefer not to learn it at all... I have a feeling what ever I get it's going to be  a struggle to get her to do the work. She does learn best with hands on learning though (which I'm pretty sure why All About Spelling is working for her), and she is very much a visual learner.
Her version of reading is reading one page at the beginning, middle, and end and then calling it done without giving what ever it is she's reading a chance, but she'll sit down and have me read to her all day, but she's not listening 90% of the time. She loves going to the library and checks out books....and then never reads them.... The only time I can get her to write stories or poems or anything like that is taking her to the Writers Club at the library which meets twice a month. If I ask her to do the same stuff she won't do it at all.
Normally she doesn't mind worksheets and workbooks, but she's tired of learning the same stuff over and over again in the Spectrum workbooks, and I'm kind of tired of them too so it's definitely time for a change in the LA department.
I'm really focusing on a lit program for her tho to really boost the reading since that's where she struggles most and it's starting to show in other subject areas.

Quoting kirbymom:

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Based on what you are saying I would really look at Moving Beyond the Page if I were you.  It is very hands on.  

Quoting No_Difference:

Yup. She flat out told me she hates it and would prefer not to learn it at all... I have a feeling what ever I get it's going to be  a struggle to get her to do the work. She does learn best with hands on learning though (which I'm pretty sure why All About Spelling is working for her), and she is very much a visual learner.
Her version of reading is reading one page at the beginning, middle, and end and then calling it done without giving what ever it is she's reading a chance, but she'll sit down and have me read to her all day, but she's not listening 90% of the time. She loves going to the library and checks out books....and then never reads them.... The only time I can get her to write stories or poems or anything like that is taking her to the Writers Club at the library which meets twice a month. If I ask her to do the same stuff she won't do it at all.
Normally she doesn't mind worksheets and workbooks, but she's tired of learning the same stuff over and over again in the Spectrum workbooks, and I'm kind of tired of them too so it's definitely time for a change in the LA department.
I'm really focusing on a lit program for her tho to really boost the reading since that's where she struggles most and it's starting to show in other subject areas.

Quoting kirbymom:

snazzylady1
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Hello,

Another good program to try is Scholastic.  They have leveled readers for guided reading.  They also have sets and with each set there is an activity sheet. You could also contact Houghton Mifflin.  When I was teaching I found that program to be highly effective.  I like it because you do have a manual as well as guided reading text to support the main story.  As for math, you can try Saxon Math.  Saxon is good because it reinforces basic skill and has some story problems for critical thinking.  I hope that helps. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Then what you should do is break up the lessons and make them smaller for now.  This will give her the break she needs but she will still be doing some schooling in english.  Take the focus off of her doing english for now too and put it on one of her other subjects.  Also, when you are the one reading to her, read a paragraph or two and then ask her to close her eyes and describe to you what she thinks she see's in her mind's eye.  Do this for the entire story but don't read the entire story in one sitting. Break the story up over a few days.  She may like doing english better after she actually gets a *feel* for words.  

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been wanting to read with her the Fablehaven series...this might be a good excuse ;) Thank you for the idea!! The nice thing with the series is at the back of each book, there is a reading guide which "can be useful in promoting discussion about some of the themes and ideas found in Fablehaven." There isn't necessarily one question for each chapter, but at least it'll help satisfy my neuroticness about school stuff lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Then what you should do is break up the lessons and make them smaller for now.  This will give her the break she needs but she will still be doing some schooling in english.  Take the focus off of her doing english for now too and put it on one of her other subjects.  Also, when you are the one reading to her, read a paragraph or two and then ask her to close her eyes and describe to you what she thinks she see's in her mind's eye.  Do this for the entire story but don't read the entire story in one sitting. Break the story up over a few days.  She may like doing english better after she actually gets a *feel* for words.  

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Sounds like you have a plan. Now all you have to do is just go start it!  lol  :)  Also, you just might want to act like this is going to be so much fun just because you two will be spending some mom and daughter time together. 

Quoting No_Difference:

I've been wanting to read with her the Fablehaven series...this might be a good excuse ;) Thank you for the idea!! The nice thing with the series is at the back of each book, there is a reading guide which "can be useful in promoting discussion about some of the themes and ideas found in Fablehaven." There isn't necessarily one question for each chapter, but at least it'll help satisfy my neuroticness about school stuff lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Monday seems like a good day to start to me :) lol. I think she still likes spending time with me to want to lol. j/k. She'll be ecstatic that I'm reading with HER and not a book for her brother!

Quoting kirbymom:

Sounds like you have a plan. Now all you have to do is just go start it!  lol  :)  Also, you just might want to act like this is going to be so much fun just because you two will be spending some mom and daughter time together. 

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Now that your plans are all set, Go Relax and enjoy yourself.  :)  

Let me know how it goes too, please.  :)  

Quoting No_Difference:

Monday seems like a good day to start to me :) lol. I think she still likes spending time with me to want to lol. j/k. She'll be ecstatic that I'm reading with HER and not a book for her brother!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Now that your plans are all set, Go Relax and enjoy yourself.  :)  

Let me know how it goes too, please.  :)  

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN