Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever consider *not* homeschooling?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 46 Replies
What would entice you to send your kids to a school instead of homeschooling? Or would you ever? If so, what would the perfect scenario be for your choice of brick and mortar school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I *might* consider not homeschooling if there were a Waldorf school close by that I didn't have to pay for. Lol
But then again, I probably wouldn't. I wouldn't mind a one or two day a week program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM
The only situation that would make me send them is if something were to happen to DH (a death or something) and if something would happen to the life insurance and social security benefits and I would have to do back to work.
Even then, if DH was injured and could school then we would just flop our roles now..he would stay home and homeschool and I would work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM
This situation keeps me up at night - something happening to dh or myself and the girls being forced into a school.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

The only situation that would make me send them is if something were to happen to DH (a death or something) and if something would happen to the life insurance and social security benefits and I would have to do back to work.

Even then, if DH was injured and could school then we would just flop our roles now..he would stay home and homeschool and I would work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM
But good point, we could totally flop roles. I have this degree I have never used after all. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

No, but classes here and there would be fun!

Also, same with tiredmomof2 regarding my DH... we have life insurance and currently $2200 monthly soc security for family max.   I have lived on much less before... (even without the life insurance) and I could do that again.

I also would babysit, like bef/aft school care and summer care and could make up to $500-700 monthly.

BramblePatch
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Nope :-)
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM
He told me a while back, when he got his updates social security benefits letter in the mail, that there would be enough for me to stay home and continue to homeschool if he were to pass away. I hate thinking about these things but it is a necessary thing. He said I would have to be frugal(not a new thing for me) but it would be very doable. Plus the life insurance would help to pay what do we do have off.
I pray everyday that we don't have to use this plan, but I am glad we have a plan in place for us if something were to happen.
The only plan we don't have set into place, is if something were to happen to me. Sure I have life insurance..but my husband says that no amount of money could replace me. :( I feel the same way about him.

Quoting KrissyKC:

No, but classes here and there would be fun!

Also, same with tiredmomof2 regarding my DH... we have life insurance and currently $2200 monthly soc security for family max.   I have lived on much less before... (even without the life insurance) and I could do that again.

I also would babysit, like bef/aft school care and summer care and could make up to $500-700 monthly.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Sure. My kids have always been in ps and one still is. I'm hs'ing my daughter for reasons that are no fault of the ps and simply because of the way she is.

There's a good chance that she'll return to ps next year to finish her last two years of high school, but she knows that we can do all those classes outside the realm of public school, too. Her GPA and test scores are high enough that college entrance is not going to be a problem, so it's really a question of where she wants to spend her time.

Homeschooling is a wonderful opportunity, but it's not the be-all, end-all of education, just like public or private school isn't, either. The best education comes from having involved parents and a loving family, no matter where your kids go to school.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Two ways would make me not homeschool.

If I had to go to work.

Or if I could find a school that actually tailored itself to the children that attended it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes. I'm not wedded to homeschooling.

Our eldest wants to go back (to a Catholic prep) for high school. She's had the choice since this upcoming year, but wants to wait for high school (she is currently junior high).

If our boys want to go to brick and mortar, they will have that choice once they are old enough to provide a well thought out, logical, reason/argument in favor of it (heck, even if they just *want* to, realistically).

The compromise? The school they go to is our choice.

Ideal school? Catholic, college prep, rigorous academics, intense focus on our faith (not just a once a week religion class), and preferably strong in maths and sciences. We'd prefer small classes (easy here; most of the Catholic schools are small) and dedicated teachers. A school where children are encouraged to be children and not made to hate school/learning.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)