Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Would you ever consider *not* homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post
What would entice you to send your kids to a school instead of homeschooling? Or would you ever? If so, what would the perfect scenario be for your choice of brick and mortar school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I'm not sure if I could send them back. It'd have to be a pretty perfect school, totally enclosed, fence, security...

I wouldn't mind a break though, if I could find a program that was doing the same as I was I'd send them a day or two or pay someone to take over at my house a couple days a week, now that would be a good idea.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Nothing could convince me that elementary or middle school is better than homeschooling, but I'm much more open to high school.  Here in NYC there are over 500 high schools to choose from based on your interests.  About 30 of them are phenomenal.  

Oldest dd chose a high school for journalism because she is a brilliant writer.  She learned how to write for all types of media, and how to use Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, & Powerpoint.   Now she's interning in Manhattan, doing lots of writing and layouts for a company in her dream field of work.  

Younger dd chose a performing arts high school (the actual Fame school from the movies and TV) because she is an amazing dancer and wants to have some sort of dance career for the rest of her life.  She has 4 academic classes and 4 dance classes every day.  

Ds is only 11, and still on the fence about going to public high school.  He would most likely choose a school for computer technology, vocal/drama performing arts, engineering, or film-making.  The neighborhood charter school also seems like it may be a good fit for him.  The perfect scenario would be a school with a short commute, small classes, and teachers who understand dyslexia and visual processing issues.   

Truth is, there are now so many classes, opportunities, resources, and wonderful educational activities here in NYC for homeschooled teens, that I would actually prefer he not bother with public high school.  

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Dh and I decided that even if I died, he would figure out a way to hs. Dh has a plan in place to provide for us even if he died, so there is no way I'd ever send my kids to ps. my youngest has never been inside a ps before and my middle only went to K in ps.

JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Maybe.. But I don't wanna think about it ;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

NEVER, EVER, EVER !!!!  There is nothing that would make me not home educate. 

Already went through the ultimate test (in my opinion) when I lost my previous husband.  We managed on his Social Security but if I didn't have that I would have figured something else out.  First I would never send them away and secondly I knew that it would break my husband's heart if his death made that happen.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never ever ever ever ever never send my kids to any school but mine.  lol  Not even for a fwe minutes.  :)

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM

At the moment....nothing would make me change my mind.  We even have people in our circle considering this for their kids.  LOL  Glad we could shed some light on a much debated topic with PS parents.  LOL  We continue to do our best to provide a good education for our kids.  If there is an area we are lacking in we will find someone to help us fill the gap.  Even if something were to happen to one of us, we would be able to continue on the current path b/c of the way we have things designed and set up for our futures.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting bren_darlene:

NEVER, EVER, EVER !!!!  There is nothing that would make me not home educate. 

Already went through the ultimate test (in my opinion) when I lost my previous husband.  We managed on his Social Security but if I didn't have that I would have figured something else out.  First I would never send them away and secondly I knew that it would break my husband's heart if his death made that happen.

You are absolutely correct, but I had never thought about it that way.  It would break DHs heart if he died and we had to stop hsing so I could work.  Tha had been the only reason I could think of for sending them back, so I want to change my answer to Just No.

arctophile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH is a public school teacher!  We never imagined we would homeschool our kids at all!  Then, my oldest DD was viciously attacked on the school bus (she was 6 her attackers were 9 and 13).  The bus driver ignored it completely and the school district tried to sweep it under the rug.  So, we brought the kids home.  That was in 2 years ago.  Now, DH is talking about if the administration changes sending them back.  I can't stand the idea!  I never imagined I'd homeschool and now I can't imagine giving it up, lol.

jewel80
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I will never ever send my son to the hell of ps ever! He has aspergers ,adhd, fine motor delay, speech delay, and health problems and his teacher and school were horrible! Nothing will ever make me send him back!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN