Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok, I Did it......................Now What?????????????????

Posted by   + Show Post

I took my daughter out of public school to start homeschooling. It was something we really had to do, I know we made the right choice! Now my questions are what are the most important subjects to teach? How many hours a day should we do school? We are on day 2 of homeschooling and she is getting bored!!!! How do I keep her excited and not bored? I feel a little lost here!!

We did math, english, reading and went to the library yesterday. Today I told her she would need to read & do a report on her non-fiction book and after she reads a bit we are starting a unit on the embargo act of 1807. Now I am picking up where she left off at, at school. I would love some ideas from you ladies! Please Help!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (11-12):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM

First off .... relax. I say this to everyone. I tried to homeschool right after pulling my kids. It worked for a bit and then we just kind of dissolved. We needed something called deschooling. That means taking time to get to know your child all over again, get to know yourself again, get to realize this is now your student, and you are now the teacher. It is a whole new concept. I was told to relax by a friend. I spent a few weeks just having fun. We went to the library and enjoyed ourself, did the museums, parks, and galleries. I started looking at the world as a whole educational experience.

Then I began building a curriculum. What are the important subjects? There are so many ! Science, math, history, literature, grammar, spelling, citizenship, current events, art, music, geography, health, gym, etc. But you may want classes in technology, mythology, religion of your choice, ethic and morals, debate ..... survival skills? I know people who teach some amazing things. Now can we combine some of these? Can we learn science and gym at once while taking a hike? We can also discuss how we are improving our health ! Three subjects in one hour ! Take the kids to a baseball game and you can bang out so many subjects at once.

I tell people that I teach my children from the moment they wake till the moment thast we fall asleep. We cook, bake, garden, care for our animals, craft, go to the library, go to the grocery store, and watch television and through it all we learn. We do books and workbooks but it is not the only method in which we learn. I know I have kids who learn so much through first hand experience, hearing stories, or watching shows. I know that this will keep them excited about subjects. We can read books on Oceanography while watching the show River Monsters and then go to aquarium for a day and to the river another day. And then we learn how to debone a fish and eat the thing !

Homeschooling is a beautiful thing because it is what ever you want to make it. It is also not something you must schedule but you can schedule as much as you want. You can school 3 days a week or 5 or 7. You can school for 6 months or for all 12. You can school for 3 weeks and then take a week off. This is custom made to your family. And if in a week it doesn't work anymore then change it ! Change the books, the schedule, the setting. Learn how every your child learns best. Make it fun for both of you. Your daughter will feed off your energy.

Just relax and have fun !

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Welcome and congrats!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN