Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yay the mid year review was good 2/13

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in K and we had the mid year review with the Countypeople this morning. We are in Maryland.

It went really well and I even got to choose my own reward sticker for the reviewer's sheet. tee hee.

They look through your portfolio for samples of regular and continuous teaching in the 4 core areas and any electives.

Math, English, Social and Science are the 4 core.

I was a bit nervous but all was good.

I took in my digital cam to show pix of some of the field trips as well as PE stuff that we do at various places.

(We met face to face at the local library in one of the rooms set up for this. They do it over a few weeks so everyone in the county has a chance to come in and have the review done. Having the child present is optional).

Do you have mid year reviews with the county?

Or do you use an umbrella group?

or does your state not have any reviews?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The only time you have to send in papers if you are withdrawing your child from a Public school, if you never send them to PS you never have to contact the government.

Quoting aneela:

do you have to send in paper work each year that you will continue to HS or is it just the one time when you started?

Quoting usmom3:

Thats great that it went so well for you.

I live in Texas & don't have to do anything like that ever.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

No reviews.   I'm sure if some one decided to report us or something for truancy, they would come check...

Our state (Missouri)... asks for us to keep a daily log of 1000 hours (600 being core subjects) each year.   I think it also asks for a portfolio.  I keep a small one... and a daily log.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM

oh yeah, i forgot, you do have to let the superintendant know each year that you are continuing to homeschool and how old the kids are and the adult that is DOING the homeschooling, etc...

They say that the information is for the truancy officer to have on hand if he gets reports.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I am glad to hear the good news.  In Florida we have annual reviews. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM

that is good to know...i thought in TX you HAD to send in a notice of intent there...glad to know it isnt mandatory

Quoting usmom3:

The only time you have to send in papers if you are withdrawing your child from a Public school, if you never send them to PS you never have to contact the government.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM

ok so you are basically just sending in notice of intent each year but they dont have any face to face review or anything

Quoting KrissyKC:

oh yeah, i forgot, you do have to let the superintendant know each year that you are continuing to homeschool and how old the kids are and the adult that is DOING the homeschooling, etc...

They say that the information is for the truancy officer to have on hand if he gets reports.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM

thanks me too lol. so just the one annual? is it end of year ?

Quoting romacox:

I am glad to hear the good news.  In Florida we have annual reviews. 

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I usually make my own in the year test and the end of the year test I do the end of the end to see what they remember then at the beginning of the year I have to same test to see what they remembered over the summer and that is what we go over the things that they do not remember and go on from there.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:43 PM

that is cool you make your own tests

the review was just to look at work done so far...no tests tho

Quoting motheroffour186:

I usually make my own in the year test and the end of the year test I do the end of the end to see what they remember then at the beginning of the year I have to same test to see what they remembered over the summer and that is what we go over the things that they do not remember and go on from there.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

The notice of intent is only if your child is attending a public school already & then you only have to do it the one time & never again after that.

Quoting aneela:

that is good to know...i thought in TX you HAD to send in a notice of intent there...glad to know it isnt mandatory

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)