Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for those who have special kids.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 14 Replies

If you have a child on the Autism spectrum, and you were to join a homeschool co-op, would you tell anyone in the co-op? Do you keep silent and let them figure it out?

I am asking because we are in a situation in our co-op that could have been avoided, or managed much sooner, if the board of directors would have been informed by the family that this child was special.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I have 2 on the Autism Spectrum & I make sure everyone that comes in contact with them knows they are, it is just easier if they ever have a bad day. Most people don't believe me that they are because they are so high functioning & I bust my a@@ to make sure that I address things with them as soon as I see there might be a problem for them (they both feel so bad after they have melt downs or "Autistic Moments") & it is never something they can control or turn off so I don't want them feeling bad about things that they can never change about themselves.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I would at least inform them that my child was, if I had one. You know they have their moments and it can be easier dealt with.  I'm not sure why someone would not tell someone else, unless they were afraid they wouldn't be able to participate.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Definitely need to keep things up front. It makes it easier all around.

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I agree with ALL of you! The mom said to me "It is just not something we tell people. We don't want anyone to know." ....huh? Why?

We have all kinds of kids in our co-op from ADHD, to fetal alcohol syndrom, to downs, one with a severe stutter, and everything in between : )  We love them all and try to accomodate them all. So there would be no need to be affraid to tell this group of very diverse homeschoolers.

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM

EXACTLY! And this child was put into a strenuous PE type of class where he was constantly feeling bad about himself : (  I am so frustrated that this happened and sad for this boy.

Quoting usmom3:

I have 2 on the Autism Spectrum & I make sure everyone that comes in contact with them knows they are, it is just easier if they ever have a bad day. Most people don't believe me that they are because they are so high functioning & I bust my a@@ to make sure that I address things with them as soon as I see there might be a problem for them (they both feel so bad after they have melt downs or "Autistic Moments") & it is never something they can control or turn off so I don't want them feeling bad about things that they can never change about themselves.

wowguildmomma
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

We are upfront about it. 

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Being upfront would be so much easier; without communication, something will inevitably go wrong.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I think some  people feel that there children are less than if they have Autism & are embarrassed or fear ridicule, so they chose not to tell others until it is necessary.

Quoting swim-mom72:

I agree with ALL of you! The mom said to me "It is just not something we tell people. We don't want anyone to know." ....huh? Why?

We have all kinds of kids in our co-op from ADHD, to fetal alcohol syndrom, to downs, one with a severe stutter, and everything in between : )  We love them all and try to accomodate them all. So there would be no need to be affraid to tell this group of very diverse homeschoolers.

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yeah, I think that is the case with this family. The mom seemed nervous that it was out in the open.

Do you have any advice on how we can help reassure them that they will not be banned because of his difference?

Quoting usmom3:

I think some  people feel that there children are less than if they have Autism & are embarrassed or fear ridicule, so they chose not to tell others until it is necessary.

Quoting swim-mom72:

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM
The best thing I can come up with is to tell them that all children are welcomed in your co-op & then back it up by showing it. Make sure to include him when he wants to be included & provide the parents with a shoulder to lean on.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Yeah, I think that is the case with this family. The mom seemed nervous that it was out in the open.

Do you have any advice on how we can help reassure them that they will not be banned because of his difference?

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)