Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum ideas for very hyper boys

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 20 Replies

My son is starting pre-k officially this coming fall. I'm not overly worried about his pre-k curriculum as we do a little bit of this and that now and will continue this but:

I would love ideas on curriculum for reading and history that are hyper child friendly. He understands structured learning but chooses not to participate in anything that requires him to sit for more than 30 seconds. I don't want him sitting for long periods, hence the homeschooling, but for at least reading he needs to be able to sit and take directions so he can work on things like letters, handwritting, and of course reading.

My dd uses McRuffy and it works very well for her. The lessons are short, sweet, and to the point. I also have manipulatives that she can use for hands on, flash cards, games, etc

Any ideas on how to start incorperating sit down lessons that he'll actually participate in? I'd like to start working with his sitting down and listening over the next year so when we have to buckle down in the fall of 2014 he'll be ready to do so for at least one subject. Some of this will come with time but some of this will need to come from my teaching style and the curriculum I use for him.

Ideas and curriculum are much appreciated! TIA!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

All About Spelling!

It is for multi-sensory learners. You can buy magnets to put on the tiles- we used these to do relays to spell words, to work on white boards. We do some of hte workds on the white boards and then once you are in leve ltwo there is some dictation. Then level 4 they get writing prompts which they get 5 words and they make those into original sentences.

Each lesson is only about 15-20 minutes. It usually takes us 30 because I do two kids at once.

It has worked very well with both my DS who has ADHD and my DD who is lil miss prim.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like he may be a hands on learner.  The traditional method (long sit downs, workbooks, flashcards) is a disaster for these kids  because it is left brain teaching.  studies show that it is best  to adjust to their learning  style, and gradually introduce them to workbooks.

Games are an excellent way to introduce hands on learners to sit down activities because it physically involves them in the learning process (whole brain teaching).  Ring Around The Phonics is a language arts board Game that I use. The kids love it, and it keeps their focus and attention because it is learning disguised as a game. It has built in activity cards which release energy, and teach comprehension . Early reader books are included.

P.S. The kids get particularly excited about the blue and gold rings of knowledge.   When they land on or pass these two squares, they get to crown their characters with a blue or gold ring.

It also uses static cling letter cards so you can teach reading, blends, spelling, vocabulary, some foreign languages and more.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I have the same issues. We do a lot of stuff jumping up and down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My mini trampoline has helped my boys a lot.  It how they learned to count while jumping.  I also recommend legos to teach math and spelling.  I have never come across a spelling curriculum I liked.  Try to make most things into a game.  We studied world geography by building giant floor puzzles.  I would go to your library and look up books with ideas for hands on learners.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

All About Spelling and All About Reading. They're short, sweet, and lots of hands on. I spend maybe 10 minutes with the reading with my little guy if that much. We don't do an entire lesson in one day, just as much as he'll let us do with his activity level (he's 3). My little guy isn't into the magnets so much yet, but we use the letter flash cards it comes with the build the words instead. On days where he's extra hyper, we go on word scavanger hunts where I hide the flash cards around the room and he has to go hunting for the letters in the right order (as best as he can...new words if he just brings me the letters as he finds them we call it good lol) and then sound out the word.

SarahNElijah
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Let him write on a white board, chalk outside, or even on the windows with something erasable! Also writing with a purpose makes a huge difference.. Does he have a friend or family member he could write a letter to, who would write back? The excitement of getting mail made this a favorite for my son at that age! Read to him at bedtime or help him build a special fort for storytime. :) Also, if he enjoys drawing, this is a great way to strengthen the fine motor skills for writing!

We also do a lot of hands on math.. When we were first beginning, we would use his cars or other toys, or things like fruit loop math :).. Now (in 1st grade) we do things like secret messages where he has to figure out the math equations to find the secret message, doing math while we swing, and a game we made up called 'Math Tag'. If they get tagged I ask them a math question. If they get it right, they get that many seconds to run before I chase them again! If they get it wrong they are frozen and they have to wait for the other to come unfreeze them (though I usually give one extra chance to guess :)). My three year old asks to play it almost daily! :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Hiding the flash cards is a great idea! My ds is 4 and knows all of his letters but I think the hunt will be a great addition and a great beginning to spelling words!

Quoting No_Difference:

All About Spelling and All About Reading. They're short, sweet, and lots of hands on. I spend maybe 10 minutes with the reading with my little guy if that much. We don't do an entire lesson in one day, just as much as he'll let us do with his activity level (he's 3). My little guy isn't into the magnets so much yet, but we use the letter flash cards it comes with the build the words instead. On days where he's extra hyper, we go on word scavanger hunts where I hide the flash cards around the room and he has to go hunting for the letters in the right order (as best as he can...new words if he just brings me the letters as he finds them we call it good lol) and then sound out the word.

ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My sis and bil live out of state and my other bil just deployed. I'm sure one of them would be happy to write back for both kids. That's actually an amazing idea. I wish I had thought of that! We use windows, the fridge, and white boards all the time for drawing and writing. It's actually a favorite past time :)

I have a book of math games. I'll have to pull it out. Thanks for the reminder! We already do a lot of counting and sorting with special treat candy or when ds decides to pull his 5 million hot wheels out. I just don't really think about those smaller things as learning as much as I should. I'm sure that's part of "getting better with time". Thank you.

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Let him write on a white board, chalk outside, or even on the windows with something erasable! Also writing with a purpose makes a huge difference.. Does he have a friend or family member he could write a letter to, who would write back? The excitement of getting mail made this a favorite for my son at that age! Read to him at bedtime or help him build a special fort for storytime. :) Also, if he enjoys drawing, this is a great way to strengthen the fine motor skills for writing!

We also do a lot of hands on math.. When we were first beginning, we would use his cars or other toys, or things like fruit loop math :).. Now (in 1st grade) we do things like secret messages where he has to figure out the math equations to find the secret message, doing math while we swing, and a game we made up called 'Math Tag'. If they get tagged I ask them a math question. If they get it right, they get that many seconds to run before I chase them again! If they get it wrong they are frozen and they have to wait for the other to come unfreeze them (though I usually give one extra chance to guess :)). My three year old asks to play it almost daily! :D

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I read the books to the and have them do the action.in the for instance if the boy jumped he jumped.so that help when.we,learn verbs in first grade. We do.not sit down at the table. I went to dollar store and shopped i founded color cards numbers shape cards letters catds all around the house even flash cards with pictures.and.have them find the cards around the house every day i change or switch them around. So they would have to.look.
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I read the books to the and have them do the action.in the for instance if the boy jumped he jumped.so that help when.we,learn verbs in first grade. We do.not sit down at the table. I went to dollar store and shopped i founded color cards numbers shape cards letters catds all around the house even flash cards with pictures.and.have them find the cards around the house every day i change or switch them around. So they would have to.look. Watch leapfrog find different ways to write their names childboard overhead in the air white board typing it on the computer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN