Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Curriculum ideas for very hyper boys

My son is starting pre-k officially this coming fall. I'm not overly worried about his pre-k curriculum as we do a little bit of this and that now and will continue this but:

I would love ideas on curriculum for reading and history that are hyper child friendly. He understands structured learning but chooses not to participate in anything that requires him to sit for more than 30 seconds. I don't want him sitting for long periods, hence the homeschooling, but for at least reading he needs to be able to sit and take directions so he can work on things like letters, handwritting, and of course reading.

My dd uses McRuffy and it works very well for her. The lessons are short, sweet, and to the point. I also have manipulatives that she can use for hands on, flash cards, games, etc

Any ideas on how to start incorperating sit down lessons that he'll actually participate in? I'd like to start working with his sitting down and listening over the next year so when we have to buckle down in the fall of 2014 he'll be ready to do so for at least one subject. Some of this will come with time but some of this will need to come from my teaching style and the curriculum I use for him.

Ideas and curriculum are much appreciated! TIA!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My little guy knows all his letters and sounds too and it can get pretty fun lol. I'll say the word and then he tries to break it down to each letter sound. I have to remind him sometimes what sound he's on, but other than that he has a blast. We "build a word" like in Word World and then he reads it to me and gets all proud of himself lol.

I forgot o put this down yesterday too. I made almost like a bingo card for him where it's words on the card and he has to try and sound out the words. We go for a walk and as he finds one of the words on the card, he puts a sticker on it. When we get back home we see how many Bingo's he has and then he has a little bucket of treats he gets to pick from as his Bingo prize.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Hiding the flash cards is a great idea! My ds is 4 and knows all of his letters but I think the hunt will be a great addition and a great beginning to spelling words!

Quoting No_Difference:

All About Spelling and All About Reading. They're short, sweet, and lots of hands on. I spend maybe 10 minutes with the reading with my little guy if that much. We don't do an entire lesson in one day, just as much as he'll let us do with his activity level (he's 3). My little guy isn't into the magnets so much yet, but we use the letter flash cards it comes with the build the words instead. On days where he's extra hyper, we go on word scavanger hunts where I hide the flash cards around the room and he has to go hunting for the letters in the right order (as best as he can...new words if he just brings me the letters as he finds them we call it good lol) and then sound out the word.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

one of those big exercise balls works good for the active boy! he can sit on it and bounce and read!

MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My 4 y/o DD is very easily distracted and active. I have found that most phonics programs are way too visually distracting for her. We have had great success so far with Alpha Phonics. The lessons are brief and to the point- and the book is very plain large black type on a plain white background. It gets the job done. She loves being read to but even if it is something that she is enjoying, her body is constantly moving. We will be incorporating Five in a Row next year as it seems very flexible and gentle with lots of opportunities for hands-on activities. 

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a bit odd but I don't think you need to buy a curriculum designed for hyper active children. You just need to add an activity to the lessons they are already doing.  For instance, if you are doing spelling, just have them walk out the letters while spelling or hop on one foot as they spell the letters and make it a competition between them to see who can spell and hop the most.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

bingo verb

jeopardy nouns

movements verbs where you have to move to make the verbs

leapfrog movies

grammar rock c.d.

school house rock D.V.D.

Doing to Dollar Store having putting up letters and colors and shapes and numbers around the house see if they can find them find puzzles with numbers shapes letters colors spelling words for that week and have then find them pick a letter for that week find different books toys that start with it around the house look in a book and see if they can find that letters. Reading them books having them doing the movements. Find objects see if they can put it over and under ect. Write their names on different things besides paper like chalkboard I put a poster board on wall and had them to write their names on it. drawing paper all ways music:  ABC's and 123s colors shapes. I using have them never sitting down till school is over we bake cakes cookies make jello pudding.

Good luck!!!!

that is next year for my twins are going in to kindergater.

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM

We would race to retrieve letters to build words... from one wall to the other.   I planned my living room so that running would be safe and that they had plenty of room for active games and movement.

Also, this is for more active (hyper) kids.   Getting the adrenaline up (breathing a little hard from a workout or play)... that helps with focus.   The adrenaline in their system gives them a "hyper focus" state for about 20 minutes or more.

Use an excercise ball instead of a chair.   They will bounce a little, roll a little from side to side, but it will burn a little energy and they can focus on what they are doing. 

Also, during those times that we have read alouds, I keep their hands busy by having them doodle about what we are reading.   It's not for a grade, but they like sharing about it afterward and they retain more.   When the doodling gets old, I will bring out pipe cleaners and let them twist and shape a few of those instead.   The rule is, though, that they have to be paying attention and answering questions to be able to keep playing with the things I give them.   We've given them playdoh, stress balls, etc...  But if they goof around, they have to put them away and stand to listen for a few minutes.  (yes, I'm strict.. LOL!)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

oh, and flash cards of any kind usually gets them "popping"... they get to pop up and yell the answer... they love this because I hate yelling as it is.

I also combine as much work as I can for them, because they do so much better together sometimes.   Othertimes, having one go do a chore or some free activity time while i work with the other briefly helps, too.

jenroach1582
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I just started time4learning with both my boys and my youngest is 5 and very hyper and I don't have any trouble with him he says its like playing games
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jewel80
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM
4 is too young to expect a kid to sit for a lesson, even a fun lesson shouldn't be more than 10-15mns long unless they show interest in going longer. Kids need time to be kids, i understand they need to learn but developmentally they arent ready to sit that young, it shouldn't be expected. I just dont believe in pushing kids that young. And im not being judgmental im just saying my opinion so please dont take it the wrong way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ablessedlife
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I would like to recommend looking at the book, How to Get Your Child Off the Refridgerator and onto Learning, by Carol Barnier. It gives practical ideas on how to adapt your lesson for a hyper child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)