Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Frustrations with preschooler

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am planning on homeschooling my two children. To get started I decided to homeschool my four year old daughter for preschool as well. It goes well but sometimes there are little things that become huge frustrations for me. I feel discouraged because if I am not able to handle these little things how will I be able to homeschool for the next 15 years or so? My husband and I realized that she should be able to count to a hundred by now but she isn't even flawlessly counting to 20. I decided to work on that today. She has been counting to ten since she was 2 and a half. I gave her twenty beans and asked her to drop them in a cup one by one and count as she went. I expected her to get confused around 14 but all of the sudden she acts like she can't even count to ten. I know she can because she does it all the time. I make her start over when she messes up since I know she can count. She has been forgetting even numbers like 3 and 7. It seems like such a small thing but I feel like it frustrates me and makes me feel like I taught her nothing. If this tiny thing frustrates me then how will I be able to deal with the much huger frustrations in the future?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Whoa. Who told you that a child mid way through preschool should be able to count to 100?

I'm mean, sure some can, but in many areas that's a goal for end of KINDERGARTEN.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mslamom2
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I don't know. I figured it isn't a big deal if she can count to a hundred necessarily but I do think she should be able to count to 20 since she has been able to count to 10 for 2 years already :S

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Preschool  I'd look at this scope and sequence.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I agree with Silver; look at the link she provided.

Quoting mslamom2:

I don't know. I figured it isn't a big deal if she can count to a hundred necessarily but I do think she should be able to count to 20 since she has been able to count to 10 for 2 years already :S

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mslamom2
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Ok so I looked at it. Except for the emotional/social part, which we are still working on of course, she has been able to do all those things since she was 2 and a half and she is four and a half now. If she has been able to count to ten for two years I think it is reasonable for me to expect her to learn to count to 20 now. The only thing that dumbfounds me is that when put under pressure to count she suddenly forgets how to count at all.

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't get frustrated. She will get it. My son was the same way and all the sudden he went from struggling to get to 15 to blowing it out of the water. I felt like in one week he was able to recognize and count all the way to 100. Don't stress. Just keep practicing. :)

Quoting mslamom2:

Ok so I looked at it. Except for the emotional/social part, which we are still working on of course, she has been able to do all those things since she was 2 and a half and she is four and a half now. If she has been able to count to ten for two years I think it is reasonable for me to expect her to learn to count to 20 now. The only thing that dumbfounds me is that when put under pressure to count she suddenly forgets how to count at all.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM
9 moms liked this

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds to me like she doesn't want to perform for you. Most kids that know information & are made to show they know it will pretend not to know it as a form of exerting their control over themselves & the situation.

What you should do is get out all your change (you know you have some in the car & in the bottom of your purse) Sit on the floor with it & separate out the penny's (don't tell your daughter to join you or anything just do this all on your own) count the penny's & the other coins out loudto yourself(this will attract her attention to what you are doing if she hasn't already shown interest). When she shows interest tell her that you are counting the money & invite her to join you. Give her her own pile of penny's & let her count if she makes a mistake just gently tell her what the number is & go on (don't make her start over this is frustrating to anyone but especially a child). If your daughter is anything like my kids she will be counting penny's to a higher number then you thought she knew all because it doesn't look like work or Mom making her do something.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Don't let reasonable expectations make her miserable. This is a great age to inspire a love of learning. You are no worse off if she can't count to 20. It may simply be beyond her abilities. Perhaps at 2 she was only parroting and now her brain is processing *more* regarding the numbers.

Quoting mslamom2:

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

US Mom 3 gave some excellent advice.  The public schools are failing our kids, and turning them off to education because of the method teachers are forced to use (left brain teaching).  When one home-schools, the whole world is a classroom, and  children learn best while at play, and real life experiences (Whole Brain Teaching). 

How To Home School The Pre K Child. 

jendawn1
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter gets like that too. And it is frustraiting. Hugs. One thing I do is move on to another activitie and come back to it later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN