Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling makes children SO shy!

Posted by   + Show Post
I almost wish the statement in the title was true! Lol
Myself and my husband were both homeschooled and we are very out going. I will literally talk to anyone.
My kids are no different. In fact I keep having to have a talk with my oldest daughter that 'just because Mommy talks to someone. It doesn't mean Mommy knows them or that you should talk to them. And or tell them absolutely everything you know.' We have this talk almost every time we leave the house.
Not sure about the rest of the homeschooling population, but it has definitely not made my kids shy. They will literally talk to anyone about anything. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

hahahah thats a lie!!! depends on the child! psed or hsed doesnt matter!

my hsed kids are not shy!!!  now me i am and i was psed!

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

My oldest is very shy, since pulling her out of PS 3 years ago she has become more out going wow go figure. She would never wear skirts or dresses or even jeans because she was so uncomfortable. She asked to go shopping the first week out of PS to get skirts and jeans. I really can't stand it when people find out that I home school and ask how I deal with them not getting socialized. Maybe stupid people who ask those questions should find out first if my kids get "socialized" jeez. Between library, gymnastics, play dates, parties...if my kids get any more socialized they'll explode. I think we have a balance we have family time but also we have plenty of time for activities and family and friends.

I really think it depends on the child. My first born is shy and my second is not at all she's the social butterfly. Two totally different kids and home schooling didn't have anything to do with it

DesireMM
by Desire' on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My oldest is shy. But I don't think homeschool has anything to do with that. He just takes after me. My middle child will talk to anyone. And the youngest will shy away if someone talks to her first but is okay if she is the one that initiates the conversation.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

With my kids it depends on their mood. Sometimes they're shy and other times they're not. Then again, I have major social anxiety and it takes me weeks of constant communication with someone before I'm finally to the point of being comfortable with just casual conversation. Since they're both with me all the time, I think they unfortunatly pick up on that. BUT I do try and push them and my oldest is making her way easier to talk with librarians and neighbors she hasn't met and asking for help at grocery stores, etc.  I'm so horrible - I've tried having the kids ask questions for me at times when I start going into panic mode...

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

This is something that we are working on.  My oldest (came from a rough background before we got her) will talk to anyone and everyone.  If she sees them more than once she is telling them that she loves them....wtf?  We talk about stranger danger ALL the time and that some peopel are not "friends" of mommy or daddy, but they are acquaintences--someone we don't really know well.  My youngest on the other hand will talk anyone's ear off.  She had a full conversation at the rink with a Dad yesterday and he was shocked by the words she was using and that he could actually understand her.  LOL

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
My 5 yr old invited a total stranger to her birthday party which isn't until MAY.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
birthymom4
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest has ALWAYS been a social butterfly...

My Others hated EVERYONE until they hit 2, then they take off socially.
IMO kids are prewired in this department.
Christine0813
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Lol. My older son is VERY shy. He would fit the 'mold' of what people think about home-schoolers. Truth is, he did attend a pre-school and he was in a private school till third grade, hee hee.

PeaceChild
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM

So there you have it, proof that homeschooling does not 'produce' shy kids...they are either hardwired to be shyor not regardless of schooling choice.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM

They are the first ones that talk I am mine shy okay I do just saying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)