Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am trying to create a coop I'm very new and me all the advice and help you can give

Posted by   + Show Post

What kinda things do you guys doing your coops? What kind of things that works for you or have you seen you liked? Activities? Outings?

I'm very very new at all of this but the current coop in my area want almost 300 dollars for people toto participate and that's just for 6 months and they only meet together 1 time a month and frankly that's just too much as far as I'm concerned I'm planning on creating a new 1 so that people don't have to spend an arm a leg just for the children to socialize and have a chance to learn jointly on some things..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Where are you and how can I join?  LoL.  I wish I had something like this to join.  I've found a handful of homeschoolers at my daughter's church.  They do things on Thrusdays when I have no way of joining them.

Quoting swim-mom72:

You are welcome!!

When I mentioned paper, I was talking about for making copies. Some co-ops charge a materials fee that will include the cost of making copies for the classes or for materials that are handed out to the families.

We offer 3 blocks of classes, that are 55 minutes each. The classes are taught by our parents. And we are a "cooperative" , so it is NOT a drop-off type of program. Here are a list of some of the classes we have had or are currently offering: LEGOS, PE, photography, nutrition, geography, Boot Camp, book club, all kinds of art classes, sign language, sewing, colonial life, science experiments, drama, pet care, show and tell, electricity, writing, and speech/debate.

We also have a "Mom's Room" for all moms during their off time to hang out, eat snacks and chat.....this is my favorite part : )

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM

: )  It is a pretty awesome group.

We are in Houston, Tx. But it it a national organization called First Class. Where are you, maybe there is one near you.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Where are you and how can I join?  LoL.  I wish I had something like this to join.  I've found a handful of homeschoolers at my daughter's church.  They do things on Thrusdays when I have no way of joining them.

Quoting swim-mom72:

You are welcome!!

When I mentioned paper, I was talking about for making copies. Some co-ops charge a materials fee that will include the cost of making copies for the classes or for materials that are handed out to the families.

We offer 3 blocks of classes, that are 55 minutes each. The classes are taught by our parents. And we are a "cooperative" , so it is NOT a drop-off type of program. Here are a list of some of the classes we have had or are currently offering: LEGOS, PE, photography, nutrition, geography, Boot Camp, book club, all kinds of art classes, sign language, sewing, colonial life, science experiments, drama, pet care, show and tell, electricity, writing, and speech/debate.

We also have a "Mom's Room" for all moms during their off time to hang out, eat snacks and chat.....this is my favorite part : )

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM

That's pretty cool.  I'm in SC and no they don't have one here, that's kind of sad.  I'm not sure how useful it would be to try and start one up, since it seems so hard to find people who homeschool as it is.

Quoting swim-mom72:

: )  It is a pretty awesome group.

We are in Houston, Tx. But it it a national organization called First Class. Where are you, maybe there is one near you.

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting swim-mom72:

You are welcome!!

srichtermom
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Our local co-op meets at a church and has been doing so for about 10 years.  It's so nice because we have access to their large gym as well as their kitchen for lunch and their classrooms to break into our smaller classes.  We offer a nursery class (0 to 3), a youngers group (4 to 8) and an olders group (9+).  Besides the nursery class, each group is offered 3 different classes each semester.  First semester is 9 weeks long and 2nd semester is 12 weeks long.  Each class is 45 minutes long and we also break for a 40 minute lunch.  At least one parent of each child has to stay in the building at all times and volunteer with the co-op.  We only charge $35 per semester per child which is one of the least expensive I've found.  We meet once a week.  Our parents are the teachers so find out what the other parents have a passion for and you can make some great class choices from there.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the director of our local co-op. we run 2, 12 week semesters at $50/semester. We use one of the building for Weslyan University. We have about 50 active families, and offer both traditional co-op classes (taught by parents) and outside professionals. We encourage outside professionals to charge no more than $5/class. You can check out our website www.greenspringcoop.org

our coop meets 1x/week for 12 weeks. With the classes running about 1 hour. So our day is 2 classes, then lunch, then 2 more classes.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

homeschoolx3
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Where do you live?

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

We've been part of two different homeschool co-ops, each very different.

#1 was small and met on Fridays from 9am to noon (3 hours), in a church. The church did not charge us to use the building, but the administrators of the co-op donated I believe $200-$300 per year to the church as a thank you. Kids were grouped by age, there was a nursery, a preschool class, a K-1, 2-3, etc. up to 6th I think. They divided the time into 4, 45-minute classes. Every age group got 1 45-minute session in the gym. Parents had to teach 3 of the 4 class periods but for one 45 min period were free to go to a 'fellowship' room, eat snacks, hang out with other parents. The classes were determined by the administrators and all kids took the same ones - like Creation Science, Art, oh I forget now... they basically had 3 classes plus gym. Then you could stay after for lunch and the kids could join one of several clubs. My daughter did 'cheerleading club' one semester. It was pretty cute. What I liked was it was very low cost ($50 per family no matter how many kids you had), what I didn't like was I had to teach, and that I couldn't choose which classes my kids took part in - it was an all or nothing type deal. I wasn't fond of the creation science idea, for example. Though we are Christian, we are not so hardcore into Creationism as some Christians are.

#2 is the one we are in now. It's a lot different. It's bigger and better managed. It also meets in a church which does not charge us to use it. It has 3 administrators, which are moms who are in charge of everything. They come out with a schedule of classes and you choose which ones you'd like to take - you can take just 1 or you can take them all day long. You pay per class. The classes are held on Mondays, all day long. There are lots of different classes offerred and they are taught by people who have training in that area or are current/former teachers. My kids have done music classes, PE, jazz, ballet, writing, history, and drama classes. It can be very expensive. For my 3 kids to take a total of 7 classes it cost $380 for a 12 week semester. But I don't have to teach, ever. And if there's a time all 3 of them are in a class (this semester, that's during 1 class) I am free to do whatever - I have to stay there, but I can read, knit, walk on their walking track, whatever. It's kind of nice. :)

amandae21
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Holy moly that's insane!!!! Our co-op charges $40 per semester, and that's if you don't teach. Teachers only pay $25 per semester. We have about 30 families. We meet at a semi-large church that has lots of Sunday School classrooms. The church doesn't charge us anything to use the space, but we do a great job of cleaning up after ourselves. I leave my classroom cleaner than it was when I got there. We have an optional PE class before our real classes start. We have three grade groups, K-2, 3-5 and 6th & up. There's also a room for preschoolers/babies/toddlers. Each grade group has two class periods. We have enough parents to provide at least two class options per period, per age group. They require families to sign a statement of faith and fill out basic personal info (name, address, contact info etc... nothing intrusive). Each class has a $35 budget (teachers buy supplies and are reimbursed for actual expenses once receipts are presented on the first day of the semester). If a class costs more, you can charge parents a supply fee... for instance, my sewing class cost way more than $35, so each of my 9 students paid a $10 supply fee.

Hmm what else... we have parties for things like Christmas and Valentine's day... everyone brings something and signs up for cleaning/setting up etc. No extra fees associated with those. We have a "mom's room" where each week two different people bring snack just for the moms.

I can send you our co-op's website link if you're interested. I don't want to post it here for all the world to see :-)

JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Please do send it :-)

Quoting amandae21:

Holy moly that's insane!!!! Our co-op charges $40 per semester, and that's if you don't teach. Teachers only pay $25 per semester. We have about 30 families. We meet at a semi-large church that has lots of Sunday School classrooms. The church doesn't charge us anything to use the space, but we do a great job of cleaning up after ourselves. I leave my classroom cleaner than it was when I got there. We have an optional PE class before our real classes start. We have three grade groups, K-2, 3-5 and 6th & up. There's also a room for preschoolers/babies/toddlers. Each grade group has two class periods. We have enough parents to provide at least two class options per period, per age group. They require families to sign a statement of faith and fill out basic personal info (name, address, contact info etc... nothing intrusive). Each class has a $35 budget (teachers buy supplies and are reimbursed for actual expenses once receipts are presented on the first day of the semester). If a class costs more, you can charge parents a supply fee... for instance, my sewing class cost way more than $35, so each of my 9 students paid a $10 supply fee.

Hmm what else... we have parties for things like Christmas and Valentine's day... everyone brings something and signs up for cleaning/setting up etc. No extra fees associated with those. We have a "mom's room" where each week two different people bring snack just for the moms.

I can send you our co-op's website link if you're interested. I don't want to post it here for all the world to see :-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM
We are apart of a "co-op". It in informal. It's a bunch of homeschool families we know and we swap months for teaching science (that was the subject we wanted to share). No dues and you aren't required to show up. Once a week for about 2 hours. It works wonderfully for us. The kids range from young preschool (3) to 9/10 at the oldest. So we have a variety but the kids enjoy it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)