Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Gardening! Who is doing it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I want to do some veggie gardening this year. Preferably raised beds. I see all sorts of homeschooling fun with it, but I'm scared of the cost. lol I need to save money in the long run.

What do you do and how much does it cost in the end?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Buying seed rather than plants will save you a TON. Seriously. Tons.

Buy good quality seed though. It makes a huge difference. A 25c pack of seeds is not a great deal of zero of them germinate, yk? I buy all my seeds from either Johnny's Select Seeds or Seed Savers Exchange. I love using heirloom seeds. You can then save the seeds from most of what you grow and then you don't have to keep buying them year after year. I'm on my fourth year with my Sun Gold cherry tomatoes (which are so sweet!).

I do raised beds only because it looks neater and I like having a well defined space. You also have better control over your soil quality that way.

If you don't already, start composting all your  kitchen scraps, and use that in your garden, both as an additive to your soil and to make compost 'tea' as a fertilizer.

I do all-organic gardening (I'm a certified master organic gardener) - no pesticides in my yard. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, beets, swiss chard, marigolds, zinnias, sunflowers, hollyhocks, and celosia. 

tmcris
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Check pinterest on how to make inexpensive raised beds.  We purchased some seeds already when they were on sale - 20 packets for $1.00 and bought the inexpensive plastic greenhouse containers on sale at our local Menards.  Later in the season contact your high school and see if they have an FFA that is selling plants; we have bought some from them at a reasonable price.

oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

mem heres some sites that might help

http://www.almanac.com/blog/gardening-blog/raised-bed-gardening-cheap-and-productive   lots of info for gardening on here

a good forum site to find out different things about gardening  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/regional/

youtube has some good videos! 

another is motherearth-  http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/build-raised-garden-beds-zmaz85mazsie.aspx

state gardening zones- http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I would love to start seedlings but I don't really have any window seals to put them on. 8(

Quoting hipmomto3:

Buying seed rather than plants will save you a TON. Seriously. Tons.

Buy good quality seed though. It makes a huge difference. A 25c pack of seeds is not a great deal of zero of them germinate, yk? I buy all my seeds from either Johnny's Select Seeds or Seed Savers Exchange. I love using heirloom seeds. You can then save the seeds from most of what you grow and then you don't have to keep buying them year after year. I'm on my fourth year with my Sun Gold cherry tomatoes (which are so sweet!).

I do raised beds only because it looks neater and I like having a well defined space. You also have better control over your soil quality that way.

If you don't already, start composting all your  kitchen scraps, and use that in your garden, both as an additive to your soil and to make compost 'tea' as a fertilizer.

I do all-organic gardening (I'm a certified master organic gardener) - no pesticides in my yard. I grow tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, beets, swiss chard, marigolds, zinnias, sunflowers, hollyhocks, and celosia. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Pinterest! A great suggestion.

Quoting tmcris:

Check pinterest on how to make inexpensive raised beds.  We purchased some seeds already when they were on sale - 20 packets for $1.00 and bought the inexpensive plastic greenhouse containers on sale at our local Menards.  Later in the season contact your high school and see if they have an FFA that is selling plants; we have bought some from them at a reasonable price.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Sounds amazing!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We do a huge garden every year. We spend way less than a hundred bucks each year and that includes the odd stuff like garlic and the load of manure and replacing any boards on our beds. We have 15 4x10 beds. And 12 inside out tires full of herbs and strawberries.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Lol I live in the 'burbs so no tractor for us.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

We are going to if the weather stops being psycho here for 5 minutes.

not sure what it costs to do raised beds though. We have tractors & all that & a big garden.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Those look perfect!

Quoting oredeb:

hi mem, i garden

we also use raised beds and in ground planting,  depending on what kinda wood you use is how expensive its gona be for the beds or if you dont use wood you can use those gray bricks, hay bales, or old wood laying around pieced together(i did this for years) or nothing just till and rake everything to the middle of the rows and you have raised beds! also i just seen one using black plastic as the sides interesting!hahahah

next you have to decide what dirt your gona put in it! oh boy! we used some from a company that composts everyones leftovers, we picked it up in our truck and now i maintain it with scraps from the house, 

i dont buy starts for the vegetables, i start them in my house, (got some going right now) for the garden, i save seeds every year for the next years etc.  i use straw to mulch with or grass cuttings, so  i dont have to water a lot.

see if any of your neighbors garden and exchange plants and seeds, the dollar store has seeds sometimes in the spring for 10 for dollar, they grow fine, i use them, once you have your vegs growin be sure to let some go to seed, and save the seeds from some! dry and label

and if you want you can run soaker hoses through the beds so you dont really have to hand water or use a sprinkler( i have inground sprinklers)

raised beds are nice cuz i can plant my seeds and seedlings earlier than in ground gardens,  but they do dry out faster than inground so i mulch real good and dont have any problems!  we layed our raised beds right on our grass, i put old card board i had down in the bottom

heres a picture of some of them

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Tomatoes are supposed to do well in pots.

Quoting OneDay.:

I can't garden here, but maybe some things that grow well in pots, I would love to do tomatoes and basil.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Great Ideas.

Quoting Kaya529:

Buy seeds instead of plants. You can start them in egg shells and plant them straight in the garden. Buy or make a rain barrel which will save a lot with the water bill. Cut the top off a milk jug and keep it accessible in the kitchen to throw scraps in for composting. Also a mesh wire cage will hold leaves from the fall and when they break down are great for the soil. In the fall let the plants and any unusable food to break down in the soil to replenish what it took. Some of the bad veggies that are reburied will sometimes create new plants in the spring. Tomatoes are great for that. I bought tomato seeds once. When ever a bug ate into it or it was bruised I just threw it at the base of the plant. I never had to buy tomato seeds again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN