Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Gardening! Who is doing it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I want to do some veggie gardening this year. Preferably raised beds. I see all sorts of homeschooling fun with it, but I'm scared of the cost. lol I need to save money in the long run.

What do you do and how much does it cost in the end?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Haha!

Quoting Silverkitty:

I wish I could keep a garden.  I can't keep plants alive to save myself.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM
We live out away from everything so hubby gets to have his toys. I think we would live on a farm if hubby & his dad got the idea for it.

Quoting mem82:

Lol I live in the 'burbs so no tractor for us.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

We are going to if the weather stops being psycho here for 5 minutes.

not sure what it costs to do raised beds though. We have tractors & all that & a big garden.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I want to start (actually did start a bit, im just soooo.behind right now!!!!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I love.. love.. love your garden Debs!  

Quoting oredeb:

hi mem, i garden

we also use raised beds and in ground planting,  depending on what kinda wood you use is how expensive its gona be for the beds or if you dont use wood you can use those gray bricks, hay bales, or old wood laying around pieced together(i did this for years) or nothing just till and rake everything to the middle of the rows and you have raised beds! also i just seen one using black plastic as the sides interesting!hahahah

next you have to decide what dirt your gona put in it! oh boy! we used some from a company that composts everyones leftovers, we picked it up in our truck and now i maintain it with scraps from the house, 

i dont buy starts for the vegetables, i start them in my house, (got some going right now) for the garden, i save seeds every year for the next years etc.  i use straw to mulch with or grass cuttings, so  i dont have to water a lot.

see if any of your neighbors garden and exchange plants and seeds, the dollar store has seeds sometimes in the spring for 10 for dollar, they grow fine, i use them, once you have your vegs growin be sure to let some go to seed, and save the seeds from some! dry and label

and if you want you can run soaker hoses through the beds so you dont really have to hand water or use a sprinkler( i have inground sprinklers)

raised beds are nice cuz i can plant my seeds and seedlings earlier than in ground gardens,  but they do dry out faster than inground so i mulch real good and dont have any problems!  we layed our raised beds right on our grass, i put old card board i had down in the bottom

heres a picture of some of them

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I've done peppers and lettuce in pots too.

Quoting mem82:

Tomatoes are supposed to do well in pots.

Quoting OneDay.:

I can't garden here, but maybe some things that grow well in pots, I would love to do tomatoes and basil.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I have a black thumb, so all the kids can learn from me is how to kill all plant life! Lol. But my DH loves to garden. His dad had his knee replaced last year, so DH & the kids did co-op gardening at his house. So we all shared the cost, but the kids & DH did all the work. There were tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zuichuni, peppers, and herbs. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM

We live in a second floor apartment, so we've done container gardens in the past. We've done very well with herbs, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes. Never did very well with the lettuce. 

Quoting irvinehiker:

I've done peppers and lettuce in pots too.

Quoting mem82:

Tomatoes are supposed to do well in pots.

Quoting OneDay.:

I can't garden here, but maybe some things that grow well in pots, I would love to do tomatoes and basil.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Last year at around Easter time, we started a container garden through egg shells - http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Egg+garden

wowguildmomma
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM

We are big into gardening due to if not for our garden we would never have fresh produce most of the time cause it is way too expensive on account of the drought. However due to the drought we are looking for ways to get around and deal with the extreme water restrictions. Right now we are leaning to altering our plumbing from the washer to use the grey water run off from laundry to water the gardens and herb beds. That way the garden gets the water it needs without us getting in trouble for using too much of the water supply.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

You can start seedlings indoors and just put them out in the sun (even on the ground; I like to put my small containers all on old cookie sheets just for convenience sake) each day and bring them in at night if it gets cold. You can also start seed directly in the grown as long as it's not a seed that birds or other animals like to eat (they will dig up bean, corn, sunflower, etc - but other things like tomatoes, cucumbers and so on, they won't bother at all). You can start 'food' seeds like corn or sunflower in a small pot and just wait until the seed pod is burst open a tiny bit - once the seedling has emerged at ALL, animals do not want to eat it. That only takes a few days at most.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)