Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Gardening! Who is doing it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I want to do some veggie gardening this year. Preferably raised beds. I see all sorts of homeschooling fun with it, but I'm scared of the cost. lol I need to save money in the long run.

What do you do and how much does it cost in the end?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM
We will be planting a garden when we move this month!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

awww thanks sonja!!  i just put in some lettuce and onions today and cleared out some space for my asparagus bed

Quoting kirbymom:

I love.. love.. love your garden Debs!  

Quoting oredeb:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

You did? What type of lettuce and aonions? And how long does it take for the asparagus to grow?  

Quoting oredeb:

awww thanks sonja!!  i just put in some lettuce and onions today and cleared out some space for my asparagus bed

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting oredeb:

oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM

mem i start to many for my window sills, so i cleared out a downstairs closet(room goes right out to the garden, so easy access) put a longish table in it and a shop light hanging with wire, works great!  i can start all my seeds every year.

Quoting mem82:

I would love to start seedlings but I don't really have any window seals to put them on. 8(

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We started a compost bin I'm the fall and it is doing good. Julia has her garden, which is mostly flowers but we will also grow lettuce or kale and carrots. We put tomatoes in pots. Then we are using part of dads garden this year, it is a project for him and Julia! We are planting corn, green beans, peas, potatoes, squash, pumpkins, watermelon, sugar melon.... I'm missing something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM

That's awesome but I would be scared of it starting a fire. I have a weird obsession with unplugging everything unless I can watch it.

Quoting oredeb:

mem i start to many for my window sills, so i cleared out a downstairs closet(room goes right out to the garden, so easy access) put a longish table in it and a shop light hanging with wire, works great!  i can start all my seeds every year.

Quoting mem82:

I would love to start seedlings but I don't really have any window seals to put them on. 8(

oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM

hi sonja,

the lettuce was simpson, buttercrunch, red sails, oak leaf, and tom thumb

onions are the ones i get from bi mart in the mesh pkgs, green onions, red, white and spanish,  (my cat was out there digging with me and playing with the onion bulbs!)

i have some walla wallas almost ready to go in, i'll put those in maybe saturday

and sugar pea will go in saturday also

my aparagus wont be ready till  till next growing season, im planting 1 yr old crowns,

Quoting kirbymom:

You did? What type of lettuce and aonions? And how long does it take for the asparagus to grow?  

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting oredeb:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

How does that work? Is there a difference or anything? 

Quoting oredeb:

hi sonja,

the lettuce was simpson, buttercrunch, red sails, oak leaf, and tom thumb

onions are the ones i get from bi mart in the mesh pkgs, green onions, red, white and spanish,  (my cat was out there digging with me and playing with the onion bulbs!)

i have some walla wallas almost ready to go in, i'll put those in maybe saturday

and sugar pea will go in saturday also

my aparagus wont be ready till  till next growing season, im planting 1 yr old crowns,

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting oredeb:

oahoah
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM

If cost is an issue you might look in your local want ads, sometimes people have excess seeds to give away or sell low-cost. Most seed packets are too full to use all. My dad and I sometimes share seed packs but we also save from year to year. 

I am excited to plan a better garden this year, devote more time to it and improve it from the last couple years. Cost-wise we don't put much into it except water and that is on an irrigation system, it's more time that goes into our garden.  We haven't bought compost in a couple years.

oredeb
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

hi sonja!!

if i planted asparagus seed it would be ready in about 2 years to produce(it just takes that long), but if i plant the 1 yr old crowns it will only be a year, and if you plant 2 year crowns they dont seem(to me) as healthy or strong as the one years so i stick to the one year crowns, i could do the seed here but im gona do the 1 yr crowns instead(less time to wait!!)

Quoting kirbymom:

How does that work? Is there a difference or anything? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN