Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just need to quit... ~update in purple~

Posted by   + Show Post

Hightlighted what we have decided on and added one thing. I have greyed out the items we have decided not to use.

Now my daughter wants to add a ditigal art class to her school work.  I'm thinking I need lessen some of the lessons or extend them.

Looking at curriculum!  LoL  Everyone says stick with what works, well nothing has actually worked, I just know my daughter likes to read books to learn and have added hands on activities and with my son not napping anymore and wanting to start school, I need something more planned out for her.

I have been trying to finalize my daughters 7th grade, but I keep changing my mind.  My husband will buy what I want, with in reason, but I don't know what I want anymore.

History: Sonlight Core E with added things to beef it up. or  K12 American Odyssey. or  WinterPromise American Culture, hubby saw the sample and wouldn't let me choose anything else. or  Beautiful Feet Early America and World History. Or Notgrass America the Beautiful.

Science: Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry, since it is kitchen science. Noeo Science Chemistry III. OakMeadow Science 7 Earth Sciene.

Math: Lial's Pre-Algebra

Language Arts:  Winston Grammar, Essentials in Writing, Lightning Literature 7

Logic: Perplexors

Art: Atelier Art along with a computer art program.

Music: Hands-on Activity Pack

Japanaese: Irasshai

Vocabulary: Vocabu-Lit G or Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

Spelling: All About Spelling (Only because she wants to)

Geography: Trai Guide to US Geography

She helped me pick out most, but she has not feelings what so ever for Science or History.  It's like eh, just pick whatever.

Sometimes I think it'd be easier to just get a box and call it a day.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I visit all these places and publisher websites that are spoken on the forums.

Quoting RockEducation:

Quoting QueenCreole313:

How do you all search or review curricula? Do you look online, a store, etc? I'm new to this..

I cruise the homeschooling forums and check out what everyone is talking about, what they have been using, possibly a new curriculum they have discovered, ect. Then, I either head over to Rainbow Resource Center (online-if I know that they have it available) or if it is something totally new to me, I just ask the moms discussing it where I can check it out/possibly purchase.

The Well-Trained Mind forums are great place to listen/discuss curricula. They talk about religious and secular curricula. There is also SecularHomeschool.com. Tons of great information over there as well.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

That is NOT comforting. Lol!

OP - I love researching curriculum. I'm an addict. I accept that.

I'm still going 'round on my dd's grade 7 curriculum as well. Kinder for my younger is easy - junior high is going to be the death of me.

I'm actually pretty set on history and science (I think) - it's the others that I'm stuck on.

Quoting bren_darlene:

LOL,  It took me around 12 years to find what I liked best.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

superwoman0105
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Wow Silverkitty,

I give you kuddos for going through all of that.  I don't have the patience to look at curriculum.  We use EVERYTHING Abeka cause it's all done for me and I need as little headache as possible.  Good luck with your decision making.

energygirl
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Quoting superwoman0105:

Wow Silverkitty,

I give you kuddos for going through all of that.  I don't have the patience to look at curriculum.  We use EVERYTHING Abeka cause it's all done for me and I need as little headache as possible.  Good luck with your decision making.

I have some friends that use Abeka and love it.....we are just using all Sonlight...but for the same reason.....little headache when you go with a boxed set :)

EnergyGirlbutterfly

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Bump for update, plus..

This is what I'm going to do with my son for a while, starting with P3/4 this fall.

Quoting energygirl:

I have some friends that use Abeka and love it.....we are just using all Sonlight...but for the same reason.....little headache when you go with a boxed set :)

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Have you thought about Moving Beyond the Page.  They have an 11-13 program right now that focuses on World History and in the spring they are releasing the 12-14 program that will focus on American History.  You can purchase their stuff by subject or a complete curriculum package.  The 11-13 is meant for the average  7th grade and the 12-14 is for average 8th grade.  We are using their literature this year and for our 7th and 8th grade year I plan on using their complete curriculum along with SL readers and read alouds.  

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I have thought about it, I would need to see a lot more samples before actually using it.

Quoting lifesadream83:

Have you thought about Moving Beyond the Page.  They have an 11-13 program right now that focuses on World History and in the spring they are releasing the 12-14 program that will focus on American History.  You can purchase their stuff by subject or a complete curriculum package.  The 11-13 is meant for the average  7th grade and the 12-14 is for average 8th grade.  We are using their literature this year and for our 7th and 8th grade year I plan on using their complete curriculum along with SL readers and read alouds.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM

This is how we look at our lessons that are decided on. They start out with the bulk of everything. Then they work it for about a month. That is about how long it takes them to find out if their subject and lesson load is too much or not enough.  Most of the time, I have to increase the amount of learning as they soak up everything and feel like it is just way to easy.  It is a rare time we ever have to take away anything.  :)  

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Lucky for me a friend of mine uses it and so I got to see it in advance.  I did decide to order an individual LA book and corresponding science book thru rainbow resources (great prices) to try this year before implementing it for all of our LA next year.  I wish I  knew some one with an older kid to hook you up!

Quoting Silverkitty:

I have thought about it, I would need to see a lot more samples before actually using it.

Quoting lifesadream83:

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I love SL we are using Core D next year. It looks like D should be much less work to secularize.  I can merely just remove a few books versus completely redoing the geography like in B+C.  I think she will enjoy that for History!  I cannot speak for the other stuff though as I have not reached that age level yet.  Nor have I heard of some of the curriula.  However, have you used the Japanese program you mentioned before? Does it start at an earlier age? My dd wants to learn Japanese but I have yet to find a program I am willing to invest in for her age.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)