Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Who can do this?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

Anyone else in NY? Can the homeschooler's parent administer the required standardized testing? What if the parent is also a certified teacher within the state? This is the statute to which I am referring:

'The achievement test can be administered by a certified teacher or by another “qualified person.” A certified teacher, a home instruction peer group review panel, or other person can conduct the written narrative evaluation. A parent could potentially administer the achievement test or conduct the written narrative evaluation. However, unless the assessment is administered at the local public school or a registered nonpublic school the parent is to choose the individual “with the consent of the superintendent.”'

I will be homeschooling my 4th grader (as well as kindergartner and preschooler but they aren't required to be tested- lol) and I am a certified teacher here in NY. I know I am more than capable of administering a standardized test, as well as doing so in a completely objective fashion, but will the state allow me?

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM

If the parent is a certified teacher then I'd say yes. If your certification allows you to administer ST's then it should cover you. I'd probably just get concent from the local superintendent to cover.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I'm not sure, honestly.

KLove_Mom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Sounds like  a question for the Homeschool Legal Defense group. I'm sure they've worked through this in NY by now.
http://www.hslda.org/ 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I wouldn't see why not but just in case they don't, you may want to find a church that has a private school and ask them if they would mind if you did your assessment testing under their guidance?  

Quoting MamaDearie:

Anyone else in NY? Can the homeschooler's parent administer the required standardized testing? What if the parent is also a certified teacher within the state? This is the statute to which I am referring:

'The achievement test can be administered by a certified teacher or by another “qualified person.” A certified teacher, a home instruction peer group review panel, or other person can conduct the written narrative evaluation. A parent could potentially administer the achievement test or conduct the written narrative evaluation. However, unless the assessment is administered at the local public school or a registered nonpublic school the parent is to choose the individual “with the consent of the superintendent.”'

I will be homeschooling my 4th grader (as well as kindergartner and preschooler but they aren't required to be tested- lol) and I am a certified teacher here in NY. I know I am more than capable of administering a standardized test, as well as doing so in a completely objective fashion, but will the state allow me?

undefined

MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM

NY is just so crazy with all of the regulations and red tape. It really is amazing. Oh how I wish we lived in Oklahoma or Texas!

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)