Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

homeschooling? 101? where to start?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hey everyone, I have a 3rd grader in private catholic school. I am seriously considering homeschooling next year. I concern is he is the last of our 3 boys and our middle one is off to college, what about socializing? I heard there are outings but dont have a clue where to start, any advice would be great. I also found some online homeschools and also read you can just use books, again any advice?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

First thing you need is your state's homeschooling laws:

http://www.hslda.org/hs/default.asp  This link will get you started at finding the laws in your state.

Then figure out what kind of homeschooling you want to do.  Unschooling?  Eclectic?  School at home?  Traditional?  There are lots of websites out there for that.

If you are worried about socialization you can look up Local homeschooling groups on Yahoo groups.

It is so much fun!  Welcome to the group!  There are some great ladies here who can help you with whatever method of homeschooling you choose.

BramblePatch
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this
In terms of activites we do not belong to a homeschooling group. We are in a small town and there isn't one. My kids do activities like ice skating, hockey, horseback riding, gymnastics, go to the park, summer day camps, library storytime, etc....

I am not a fan of online schools, but many people are happy with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tlawshea
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much! I am also reading info on different state law requirements. Ours seems to be one of the more relaxed law states, however we could be moving? This may sound silly, but how do you balance your time as a home school mom, do you ever get overwhelmed?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting tlawshea:

Thank you so much! I am also reading info on different state law requirements. Ours seems to be one of the more relaxed law states, however we could be moving? This may sound silly, but how do you balance your time as a home school mom, do you ever get overwhelmed?

Of course, everyone gets overwhelmed at times.  You find balance.  We have set school time, when the time is over we stop.  Even if they didn't get much done.  We have chore time, when chore time is over, we stop.  Actually having a set time has helped us get MORe done.  The kids love to "beat the clock" to get their chores done and the cardio workout racing around and up and down stairs I sometimes count as gym when we get behind.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting tlawshea:

Do you mean from anything else that you do?  Well, it's just like if you worked outside of a home. How would you balance that?  I don't necessarily keep our school education separate from our everyday, day to day life.  For me, everything we do is an education in and of itself. We are always learning from something that is going on in our lives. However, I do take the summer and just let the kids go, because they do odd jobs around the neighborhood for anyone who is looking for any help.  They mow lawns or help clean the kitchens or whatever the neighbor needs done.  My two oldest boys 16 & 13 even help work on cars if they are asked. This last summer, they learned how to use power tools that take off the tops of a vehicle. They had a blast learning that!  lol   That is how they also get their *socialization* !  You do not necessarily have to go to groups and sports activities to learn how to be social.  Every thing we do that has contact with another human being teaches us how to be social. lol  Old-young, child-adult.  Family-friends.  We learn how to inter-act and that is how you socialize. But that is just my own humble opinion. Everyone decides what is the best fit for their family. THAT is why homeschooling works best.  :)  

undefined

tlawshea
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you everyone for your responses, it has really helped!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

We have ours hand out with family members we are in a lot of church things my sons in drill team my daughter does drum drill team they are all ways at friends houses. On the weekends it is their times to socializing. With our younger we over families houses and they play while we talk to the parents. We go to parks.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

http://www.hslda.org/hs/default.asp  This link will get you started at finding the laws in your state.

Then figure out what kind of homeschooling you want to do.  Unschooling?  Eclectic?  School at home?  Traditional?  There are lots of websites out there for that.

If you are worried about socialization you can look up Local homeschooling groups on Yahoo groups.

It is so much fun!  Welcome to the group!  There are some great ladies here who can help you with whatever method of homeschooling you choose.

bingo verb

jeopardy nouns

movements verbs where you have to move to make the verbs

leapfrog movies

grammar rock c.d.

school house rock D.V.D.

Doing to Dollar Store having putting up letters and colors and shapes and numbers around the house see if they can find them find puzzles with numbers shapes letters colors spelling words for that week and have then find them pick a letter for that week find different books toys that start with it around the house look in a book and see if they can find that letters. Reading them books having them doing the movements. Find objects see if they can put it over and under ect. Write their names on different things besides paper like chalkboard I put a poster board on wall and had them to write their names on it. drawing paper all ways music: ABC's and 123s colors shapes. I using have them never sitting down till school is over we bake cakes cookies make jello pudding.

Good luck!!!!

that is next year for my twins are going in to kindergarten.

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

what do your child or children want to learn about in science and what do you want to teach them for science.

Bill Nye Science

Magic School Bus movies I am working on having this all this summer.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Quoting motheroffour186:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bingo verb

jeopardy nouns

movements verbs where you have to move to make the verbs

leapfrog movies

grammar rock c.d.

school house rock D.V.D.

Doing to Dollar Store having putting up letters and colors and shapes and numbers around the house see if they can find them find puzzles with numbers shapes letters colors spelling words for that week and have then find them pick a letter for that week find different books toys that start with it around the house look in a book and see if they can find that letters. Reading them books having them doing the movements. Find objects see if they can put it over and under ect. Write their names on different things besides paper like chalkboard I put a poster board on wall and had them to write their names on it. drawing paper all ways music: ABC's and 123s colors shapes. I using have them never sitting down till school is over we bake cakes cookies make jello pudding.

Good luck!!!!

that is next year for my twins are going in to kindergarten.

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

what do your child or children want to learn about in science and what do you want to teach them for science.

Bill Nye Science

Magic School Bus movies I am working on having this all this summer.

I'm not sure why you quoted me.  Did you have a question?  Or were you adding to what I said?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN